Don’t waste carrot greens. Make this delicious vegan carrot top soup instead!
Have you ever found a bunch of carrots complete with leafy tops in your weekly veg box and wondered what to do with the green stalks and leaves?
This carrot top soup recipe is the perfect waste-free recipe for them. So delicious and made extra creamy without dairy thanks to the addition of cashews.
If you are looking for more waste-free cooking inspiration, look out for Tom Hunt’s “Eating for Pleasure, People & Planet” cookbook. Tom’s unique cooking ethos, Root to Fruit, celebrates the entire vegetable, wasting nothing. Each recipe is designed to show how easy it can be to cook with plant-based ingredients that are local, seasonal and traceable while making sure as little as possible goes to waste.
How to make this carrot top soup
First, you will need to cut the carrot tops (leaves and stalks) and wash them thoroughly. Once you have peeled the potatoes and carrots, all you have to do is to chop all the vegetables (potatoes, carrots and carrot tops) roughly.
They will cook gently in vegetable stock and a base of onion, garlic, ginger and coriander.
To make this soup extra-creamy without the need for dairy, I add some cashews to the saucepan. You can replace them with skinned almonds. If you prefer a nut-free option you can skip that step and serve the soup with a dairy-free cream instead.
When the vegetables are cooked, you can blend the soup to your desired consistency using a handheld blender. Add a bit more water if needed and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
I like to serve this soup with some chopped cashews on top, as well as a dash of dairy-free cream and a few carrot top leaves for presentation. But this is entirely optional!
Here are more waste-free recipes you may like to try:
- CARROT TOP PESTO [VEGAN]
- QUORN HOTPOT [ZERO WASTE RECIPE]
- DREAMY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
I hope you enjoy this carrot top soup recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Carrot Top Soup
- large saucepan
- 125 g green carrot tops
- 500 g potatoes
- 250 g carrots
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml water
- 75 g cashews or skinned almonds
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
TO SERVE (OPTIONAL):
- dash of dairy-free cream
- chopped cashews
- some carrot top leaves for presentation
- Cut the green carrot tops off (leaves and stems). Wash thoroughly and chop them roughly. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots. Chop them roughly and set them aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic cloves. Fry gently until soft.
- Add the ground coriander and freshly grated ginger. Fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots and carrot tops to the saucepan.
- Add the vegetable stock, water and the cashews.
- Bring to the boil, then cook covered under medium heat for 25 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, blend the soup to your desired consistency, adding water if necessary. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
I cannot wait to see your posts!