Lightly curried, this Leek & Parsnip Soup is warming and absolutely delicious.
Lightly curried, this Leek & Parsnip Soup is warming and absolutely delicious. Made with coconut milk and vegetable stock, this soup is silky and creamy. Its gentle yellow glow will warm you from the inside out.
The coconut milk enhances the creaminess and garam masala gives this soup some wonderful flavours. It is not spicy but rather “hot” in the Ayurvedic sense, meaning “to heat the body”.
Variations of parsnip soup feature regularly in our winter meals. This recipe gets the thumb up from the whole family.
How to make this curried leek & parsnip soup
This is an easy and straightforward recipe to make. All you need is a large saucepan and a handheld blender.
First, the onion and garlic are gently fried in oil with garam masala, turmeric and ginger to make a fragrant base for this soup.
Then the leeks, parsnips and potatoes are cut into small slices and added to the pan. The vegetables are left to simmer for around 20 minutes until they are cooked.
Using a handheld immersion blender, you can then liquidise soup and add coconut milk. Once you are happy with the consistency of the soup, simply season it with some lemon juice.
I like to add some roasted coconut flakes and plenty of coriander on top of this soup and serve it with a slice of crusty bread.
This soup can be frozen so you can make a batch ahead and enjoy it over several weeks.
Here are more soup recipes you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this curried parsnip soup recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Curried Leek & Parsnip Soup [vegan] [gluten free]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 600 g leek
- 450 g parsnip
- 200 g potato
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- juice of 1 lemon
- coconut flakes
- small bunch of coriander
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, garam masala, turmeric and ginger. Gently fry until onion are soft.
- Peel the leeks, parsnips and potato. Cut in small slices.
- Add the vegetables to onion mixture. Top with the vegetable stock. Bring to boil then simmer covered for around 20 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Liquidise soup. Add the coconut milk and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Serve with fresh chopped coriander on top plus some roasted coconut flakes.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!