Silky and smooth, this vegan Butternut & Lentil Coconut Soup is flavoured with fresh lemongrass and warming ginger.
Silky and smooth, this vegan Butternut & Lentil Coconut Soup is flavoured with fresh lemongrass and warming ginger. I love the orange flesh of butternut and it gives this soup its glorious glow.
A comforting recipe for colder days that is delicious served with crusty bread.
It is quite mild so you can add a bit of a kick by sprinkling some red chilli on top. I also added some pumpkin seeds for extra crunch.
Butternut is high in vitamins A, C and E while lentils are a good source of protein. Both are also a good sources of fibre.
Butternut & Lentil Coconut Soup [vegan]
- large sauce pan
- handheld blender
- 900 g butternut squash
- 175 g split red lentils
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 3 Tbsp grated ginger root
- 1.25 litre vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- juice of 3 limes – to taste
- 30 g fresh coriander
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- red chilli to taste + pumpkin seeds [optional]
- salt & pepper
- Peel butternut squash and cut into small dice.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add finely chopped onion, grated ginger and crushed garlic.
- Bash the lemongrass stalks with a rolling pin. Add to the onion mixture. Fry gently until onion is soft.
- Add diced butternut squash, red lentils and vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, then cook covered under medium heat for 20 mins.
- When done add coconut milk and coriander. Liquidise until you have a silky texture.
- Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve with chopped red chilli and pumpkin seeds on top if using.
- You can adjust the thickness of the coup with more stock if desired.
I cannot wait to see your posts!