I was disappointed to see so many tomatoes in our garden not wanting to turn red. I was going to make chutney. Then I remembered that years ago I once had some green tomato jam while on holiday in France and that it was delicious. So I turned our mini garden disaster into some tasty green tomato jam that should take us through the Winter!
This is quite a flexible recipe. You can adjust the amount of sugar or lemon juice to suit your taste. Also, I used ground mixed spice just because I could not make up my mind, but you can experiment with cinnamon, ginger etc …
Also if the tomatoes you are using have quite thick skin it is better to skin them first.
Green Tomato Jam [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 1 kg green tomatoes
- 750 g jam sugar
- juice of 1 to 2 lemons
- 2 tsp cinnamon or mixed ground spice or ginger etc..
- 1 pectin sachet
- Boil some water in a large pan. Gently place the tomatoes in the boiling water for around 30 seconds. Do this in batches of 3 to 4 tomatoes. Once boiled, drain them and remove skin.
- Cut each skinned tomatoes into quarters and each quarter into halves so that to have 8 dice.
- Put the tomatoes, sugar, pectin, lemon juice and spice in a preserving pan or large heavy-based saucepan. Warm slowly while mixing the ingredients.
- Cook for 20 to 30 mins until you get a jam consistency. Tomatoes should be soft.
- Remove from the heat. Jam will get thicker as it cools down.
- Leave for 20 mins before pouring into sterilised jars.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!