This low sugar Pineapple & Passion Fruit Jam is delicious on toasts or added to yoghurt or porridge.
This low sugar Pineapple & Passion Fruit Jam is delicious on toasts or added to yoghurt or porridge. Slightly chunky is it deeply satisfying.
The best thing about homemade jam is that you can pretty much mix any of your favourite fruits.
Also, you can make jam that contains much less sugar than the storebought equivalent. Here I have used 50% less sugar than conventional jam.
Pineapple & Passion Fruit Jam [vegan] [low sugar] [gluten free]
- jam jar
- 1 medium pineapple [to have 500g / 1.1 lb of flesh]
- 3 passion fruits
- juice of 1 lemon
- 250 g jam sugar with added pectin
- To sterilise the jar you can plunge it in a large pan of boiling water for 10 mins. Alternatively you can also wash it in warm soapy water, rinse it and put it on a baking tray in the oven heated up at 100°C/225°F/gas ¼ for 10 mins. Make sure everything is very clean. You do not want to do this too far in advance as the jas should be warm when the jam is poured into it.
- Remove the skin and hard core centre from pineapple. Cut the flesh into small chunks and place it into a heavy bottom pan or preserving pan.
- Add the sugar, passion fruit flesh and lemon juice.
- Heat the fruits under medium to high heat until the mixture reaches boiling point. Carry on boiling jam for 20 mins stirring occasionally so that the jam does not stick to the bottom of the pan. From then on, check setting point every 5 minutes or so. Mash any chunks of fruits.
- To test if the jam has set, put a teaspoon of jam on one of the cold saucer. Let it cool for a minute. The jam is done when it wrinkles when pushed with your finger.
- Pour the jam intohe sterilised jam. Cover with waxed paper and seal.
- Store in a cool and dry place away from the light. Keep in the fridge once opened.
I cannot wait to see your posts!