This vegan roasted butternut squash salad with bulgur wheat and lentil has a zingy lime and ginger dressing. Hearty and delicious, it is topped with crunchy pomegranate seeds and almonds.
This vegan roasted butternut squash salad with bulgur wheat and lentil has a zingy lime and ginger dressing. Hearty and delicious, it is topped with crunchy pomegranate seeds and almonds. It doubles up as a colourful seasonal salad to brighten up your Christmas or Thanksgiving table and can be served on its own or as a side dish.
You can boil the bulgur wheat in a pan with water, but I find it easier to cook it like couscous by covering it with boiling water and let it soak until the grains are tender (when done, just drain the extra water if any). Quick and easy to prepare, bulgur wheat has a nutty flavour and satisfying texture. It is really versatile so it is a great ingredient to keep in your pantry.
I prefer using Puy lentils in salads as they hold their texture better than other lentils after being cooked. (They can be difficult to find in North America, so American and Canadian cooks, can substitute them for French green lentils).
This roasted butternut squash salad with bulgur wheat and lentil is a balanced plant-based dish with vegetables, whole grain and plant proteins. For a vegetarian option, you can also top it up with feta.
This salad can be eaten slightly warm or at room temperature.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Bulgur Wheat and Lentil [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 600 g diced butternut
- 80 g bulgur wheat
- 80 g Puy lentils
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp finely grated/puréed ginger
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 handfuls of slivered almonds
- ½ pomegranate
- 1 to 2 handfuls of freshly chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / Gas 6.
- Peel butternut squash and cut in 1.5cm dice [0.6 inch]. Spread on oven tray. Drizzle with oil. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins.
- To cook the bulgur wheat, you can boil it in water for 10-15 mins. Alternatively, place it in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak covered with a lid or a plate for around 30 mins until grains are tender.
- Heat a small saucepan of water. When boiling, add lentils and cook for around 10-12mins according to packet instructions until tender (they should still hold their shape).
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing by mixing together all the dressing ingredients above. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- When done, add drained bulgur wheat and lentils together in a bowl. Top with cooked butternut and dressing. Add almonds, pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander. Toss altogether. Eat slightly warm or at room temperature.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!