This roasted Jerusalem artichoke and kale salad is tossed in a zingy lemon dressing. Best eaten hot or warm.
Tossed in a zingy lemon dressing, this roasted Jerusalem artichoke & kale salad recipe is bursting with flavours. The Jerusalem artichokes and kale are cooked with juicy tomatoes and coconut. To give this dish some extra umami, I added some ginger and soya sauce to the dressing. This salad is best eaten hot or warm.
The recipe was inspired by a recipe from Anna Jones for Warm Kale, Coconut and Tomato Salad from “A Modern Way to Eat”. I really liked the addition of coconut which goes perfectly with the Jerusalem artichokes I found in my weekly vegetable box.
I added some chickpeas for protein and tossed everything in a lemon dressing sweetened with maple syrup.
How to make this roasted Jerusalem artichoke & kale salad
The recipe comes together in 40 minutes. To minimise the washing up, everything is cooked on one deep oven tray.
The Jerusalem artichokes do not need to be peeled as long as you wash them with warm water and brush them thoroughly to remove any dirt that is hiding around their knobbly bits. You can then cut them into 2cm / 0.8 inch chunks and spread them in a deep oven tray to roast in the oven for fifteen minutes.
During this time you can prepare the lemon dressing, cherry tomatoes, kale and spring onions.
The tomatoes go next in the oven and five minutes later, the chopped kale and shredded coconut. Ten minutes later, the chickpeas are added to the mix.
Once the vegetables are cooked, tossed them in the dressing. Season everything to taste with salt and pepper and add a sprinkle of spring onions on top. Serve straight away while the salad is hot.
Here are more warm salad recipes you may like to try:
- ROASTED CARROT & PARSNIP SALAD [VEGAN]
- BRUSSELS SPROUT AND PEARL BARLEY SALAD
- ROASTED RED CABBAGE SALAD
I hope you enjoy this roasted Jerusalem artichoke & kale salad recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke & Kale Salad
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 600 g Jerusalem artichoke
- 300 g cherry tomato
- 250 g kale
- 25 g shredded coconut
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 3 spring onions
- salt & pepper
FOR THE LEMON DRESSING:
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / gas mark 6.
- Wash and scrub the Jerusalem artichokes to remove any dirt.
- Cut the Jerusalem artichokes into 2cm / 0.8 inch chunks and spread them in a deep oven tray. Drizzle with some olive oil. Place the tray in the oven for 15 mins.
- While the Jerusalem artichokes are in the oven, cut the cherry tomatoes in halves. Remove and discard the hard stalks from the kale branches. Chop the kale leaves roughly. Chop the spring onions and set them aside.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, grated garlic, grated ginger, maple syrup and soya sauce. Set aside.
- Once the Jerusalem artichokes have been roasting for 15 mins, add the halved cherry tomatoes to the tray.
- 5 minutes later, add the chopped kale and shredded coconut. Roast all together for 10 minutes, tossing the ingredients after 5 mins so that the kale does not burn.
- Add the drained chickpeas and roast for another 5 mins.
- Remove the tray in the oven and toss all the ingredients together with the lemon dressing. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve straight away with the spring onions sprinkled on top. This salad is best eaten hot or warm.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!