Tossed in a lemon and fennel dressing. this salad brings together some favourite winter flavours.
Tossed in a lemon and fennel dressing, this roasted red cabbage salad brings together some of my favourite seasonal produce: red cabbage, Brussels sprouts, chestnuts, apple and pomegranate. It is best eaten warm.
My mum’s Austrian braised red cabbage with apple recipe inspired me to create this dish. It can be eaten on its own or as a side dish.
This salad is perfect at this time of the year and also makes a delicious side to serve with a nut roast or veggie main during the holiday season.
How to make this roasted red cabbage salad
The Brussels sprouts and red cabbage are roasted in the oven on two separate trays. They should take 25 to 30 minutes to cook. Make sure you keep an eye on the vegetables and if one tray is cooked before the other, remove it from the oven and keep warm.
While the vegetables are in the oven you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
For the dressing, you will need to toast the fennel seeds in a dry pan first, then grind them to a powder in a blender.
The ground fennel seeds give a lovely flavour to this dish so make sure you do not skip them.
The lemon fennel dressing is sweetened with honey or maple syrup, which you can swap for agave syrup.
Once the vegetables are cooked, place them on a serving plate with the chestnuts. Season with salt and pepper. Add the apple cut into thin slices, the pomegranate seeds and the finely chopped parsley leaves.
Here are more winter salad recipes you may like to try:
- ORANGE & BLACK BEAN QUINOA SALAD [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SALAD WITH BULGUR WHEAT AND LENTIL [VEGAN]
- MOROCCAN CAULIFLOWER & QUINOA SALAD [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
I hope you enjoy this roasted red cabbage salad recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Roasted Red Cabbage Salad
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- olive oil
- 400 g Brussels sprouts
- 500 g red cabbage
- 125 g cooked chestnuts
- 1 apple
- salt & pepper
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 grated garlic clove
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- seeds from ½ large pomegranate
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200c/180c fan/gas 6.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in halves. Spread on an oven tray. Drizzle with some olive oil.
- Cut the red cabbage in 2cm [0.8 inches] wedges. Lay the wedges on an oven tray. Drizzle with some olive oil.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts and red cabbage for 25-30mins. Check after 20 mins. If one tray is cooked before the other, remove it from the oven and keep warm.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the vegetables are in the oven.
- To make the dressing, heat the fennel seeds in a dry pan. Once they are toasted, transfer to a blender and whizz to a powder.
- In a bowl, whisk the Dijon mustard with lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, ground toasted fennel seeds, grated garlic and honey (or maple syrup). Set aside.
- Cut the chestnuts in halves. Deseed the pomegranate.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, place them on a serving plate with the chestnuts. Season with salt and pepper. Add the apple cut into thin slices, the pomegranate seeds and the finely chopped parsley leaves.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve straight away while warm.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!