These delicious roasted Jerusalem artichokes are served with my yummy vegan watercress mayo.
These delicious roasted Jerusalem artichokes are served with my yummy vegan watercress mayo. Such a simple dish with maximum flavour.
Jerusalem artichokes have a short season in the UK (from February to April), so enjoy them while you can! They are quite versatile and I love them in soups, bakes, pies and salads.
Whenever I lack inspiration about what to make for dinner, roasting a few vegetables is often an easy option. I often improvise by adding any leftover grains, beans or pulses I have laying around in the fridge.
For this recipe, I decided to make a vegan watercress mayo that has a delicious peppery taste and creamy texture. This is the perfect condiment to perk up roasted Jerusalem artichokes.
The mayonnaise is quick and easy to make and requires no eggs as they are substituted with aquafaba (chickpea brine). Aquafaba acts as a thickener to give this vegan mayo its silky smooth consistency. You can make it while the Jerusalem artichokes are roasting in the oven. Any leftover will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for a week or so.
How to roast Jerusalem artichokes
Jerusalem artichokes are a pain to peel! Instead, you can simply wash them with water and brush them thoroughly to remove any dirt that is hiding around their knobbly bits.
When the Jerusalem artichokes are clean, cut them into thumb-size chunks and place them on an oven tray drizzled with some olive oil.
With an oven temperature at 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4, Jerusalem artichokes should take between 30-40mins until they are soft and golden. Simply season them to taste and enjoy!
In this recipe, I added a few thyme sprigs and some garlic for extra flavour.
Here are more easy roasted veg recipes you may like to try:
- ROSEMARY ROASTED POTATOES WITH TOMATOES & BUTTER BEAN DIP [VEGAN]
- ROASTED BROCCOLI ON TOAST WITH BUTTER BEAN HUMMUS [VEGAN]
- ROASTED PARSNIP AND ORANGE SALAD [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
I hope you enjoy this roasted Jerusalem artichoke recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Roasted Jerusalem Artichokes
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 500 g Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 garlic bulb
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- few sprigs of thyme
- lemon juice to taste
- salt & pepper
- watercress mayo
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4.
- Wash and scrub the Jerusalem artichokes to remove any dirt.
- Cut the Jerusalem artichokes into half thumb-size chunks and spread on the oven tray.
- Cut garlic in half and place on the oven tray. Add thyme sprigs. Drizzle everything with some olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 30-40 mins until the Jerusalem artichokes are soft and golden.
- While the Jerusalem artichokes are in the oven, prepare the watercress mayo.
- Once the Jerusalem artichokes are done, remove the tray from the oven. Squeeze out the garlic cloves and toss with the roasted Jerusalem artichokes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Serve with some watercress mayo.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!