This high protein salad in a jar is packed with goodness. The harissa dressing adds a delicious Moroccan twist.
This high protein salad in a jar is packed with goodness. The harissa dressing gives it a delicious Moroccan twist.
You can cook the quinoa or lentils from scratch or better still use some leftover.
Portable and healthy it makes the perfect lunch to take to work. The greens are at the top so they don’t get squashed or soggy. You can make this salad the day before so it is ready to go first thing in the morning.
You can eat it from the jar, but I prefer to tip it all in a bowl. You will need a tall or fat jar so all the ingredients fit it. If you are using a clip top, don’t forget the seal the jar so the dressing does not leak while in transit.
This recipe makes one big salad.
High Protein Salad In A Jar [vegetarian] [gluten free]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 45 g uncooked quinoa or 4 Tbsp cooked quinoa
- 45 g uncooked puy lentils or 4 Tbsp cooked lentils
- 1 handful drained chickpeas
- 1/2 red pepper
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small handful spinach leaves
- 1 small handful of mixed pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 1 small handful alfafa or other sprouts
- 1 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/4 tsp harissa paste
- at least 3 tsp of maple syrup or agave syrup or honey (to taste)
- 3 – 4 mint leaves
- salt & pepper
- If you are cooking the quinoa and lentils from scratch, heat some salted water in two separate pans. When boiling add quinoa to one and lentils to the other. After 10-15 mins they should be cooked (quinoa will cook quicker than lentils so keep an eye). Both cooked quinoa and lentils should still have a bite. Drain and set aside.
- Make the dressing by mixing together yoghurt, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, crushed garlic clove and harissa. Add honey to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing at the bottom of a tall glass jar. Top with the quinoa, sliced red pepper, tomatoes, lentils, grated carrot, spinach leaves, seeds, sprouts and chopped mint leaves.
- Close tightly and store in the fridge overnight.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!