Bubbling with cheese and cream, this Mushroom & Potato Gratin is the ultimate comfort food.
Bubbling with cheese and cream, this Mushroom & Potato Gratin is the ultimate comfort food. Potato gratin is a classic in French cuisine and here I have added some mushrooms for an autumnal twist as well as warming hints of rosemary and nutmeg.
You can enjoy this dish on its own served with a crunchy salad or as a side dish.
I used Albert Bartlett Rooster Potatoes to make this recipe. They are perfect for potato gratin as they hold their shape while baking.
Rooster Potatoes have a unique deep red skin and a delicious nutty taste. Versatile you can roast, boil, steam, mash and bake them. No wonder they are dubbed as Britain’s favourite branded potato.
Albert Bartlett Rooster Potatoes have just come into season so it is the perfect time to enjoy them. They are available from Asda, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Ocado and Morrisons.
You can find out more about them here.
Mushroom & Potato Gratin [vegetarian]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 900 g Albert Bartlett's Rooster Potatoes or other baking potatoes
- 500 g chestnut mushrooms
- 100 g shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 heaped Tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves + 1 sprig
- 40 g butter + extra for greasing gratin dish
- 60 ml white wine
- 300 ml double cream
- 100 ml milk
- 150 g grated cheddar
- nutmeg to taste
- salt & pepper
- Clean the mushrooms and cut them into 2.5mm [0.1 inch] thin slices. Put the cream, 1 crushed garlic clove, rosemary sprig and milk into a small saucepan. Slowly heat up until everything is just boiling. Turn off the heat, season and leave on the side to infuse. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan. Add finely chopped shallots. Fry gently for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, white wine and finely chopped rosemary.
- Cook covered under medium heat for 5 minutes. Carry on cooking uncovered for around 8 minutes until the mushrooms are done. Season to taste.
- In the meantime cut the potatoes into 2.5mm [0.1 inch] slices. Put them on a clean cloth and pat dry.
- Grease a gratin dish generously with butter. Rub the second garlic clove all over the gratin dish.
- Layer half of the potatoes at the bottom of the gratin dish. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the mushrooms and their juices (if any) on top.
- Spread 5 Tbsp of the cream and milk mixture on top of the mushrooms.
- Layer the second half of the potatoes on top of the mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the rest of the cream and milk mixture (rosemary sprig removed) on top. Sprinkle with grated cheese all over.
- Cook in the oven for 45 – 60 mins until the potatoes are cooked and gratin is golden.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!