This vegetarian Quinoa & Courgette Gratin is quick and easy to put together. It has a creamy flan base, filled with juicy vegetables and wholesome quinoa.
This vegetarian Quinoa & Courgette Gratin is quick and easy to put together. It has a creamy flan base, filled with juicy vegetables and wholesome quinoa. Gluten-free, it is perfect for a midweek family dinner.
This dish makes a complete meal with the added proteins of quinoa and eggs. Serve with a crunchy green salad on the side.
I used a mixture of yellow and green courgettes but you can use whichever variety you have. To speed things up, you can start cooking the onion and garlic while the quinoa is cooking.
You can replace the parmesan with cheddar cheese or gruyère. Goat cheese also makes a tasty alternative. Quinoa can be substituted for rice (I prefer brown rice), which you will also need to pre-cook.
This Quinoa & Courgette Gratin recipe serves 6-8 people. Leftovers can be reheated the next day, preferably in the microwave.
Quinoa & Courgette Gratin [vegetarian] [gluten free]
- Frying pan
- mixing bowl
- gratin dish
- 100 g quinoa
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 650 g courgettes – I use a mix of yellow and green
- 300 ml double cream
- 4 organic eggs
- 40 g grated vegetarian style parmesan + extra to sprinkle on top
- 30 g bunch of fresh basil
- salt & pepper
- butter – to grease
- Heat some salted water in a saucepan. When boiling, add quinoa, and cook according to packet instructions (around 10 mins). Drain and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry under medium heat until golden and soft.
- Preheat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Cut courgettes into thin slices.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, cream, finely chopped basil and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a gratin dish with butter.
- Mix courgettes and quinoa in gratin dish. Season with salt & pepper. Pour cream mixture on top. Add a generous handful of grated parmesan on top.
- Cook for 25 mins until golden.
I cannot wait to see your posts!