This vegetarian One-Pot Mexican Rice Casserole makes a great healthy family meal.
This vegetarian One-Pot Mexican Rice Casserole makes a great healthy family meal. Minimum fuss, minimum washing up . . All that is required is a large ovenproof frying pan or shallow casserole.
You can serve this dish on its own or with some crunchy tortillas which are always very popular with my kids!
The cheese adds a nice touch but can be skipped if you prefer dairy-free. Alternatively, you can also use grated vegan cheese.
This recipe is pretty much fool-proof just make sure you check the cooking time of the rice you use. I use brown rice for it which cooks in around 25 mins.
One-Pot Mexican Rice Casserole [vegetarian] [gluten free]
- large oven proof frying pan or shallow casserole
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red pepper
- 150 g brown rice – should be able to cook in around 25mins
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml water
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- pinch of cinnamon
- 200 g can corn
- 400 g can red kidney beans
- 75 g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1 large handful freshly chopped coriander + some more to serve
- Heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a large oven proof frying pan or shallow casserole.
- Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry gently until soft.
- Cut red pepper in 1cm dice [0.9 inch].
- Add rice to onion mixture. Stir to coat all over.
- Add diced pepper, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, vegetable stock, water, spices and oregano.
- Stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook covered with a lid for 10 mins. Remove lid and continue to cook for another 20 mins or so until the liquid has thickened and the rice is cooked.
- Rinse and drain corn and red kidney beans.
- Add to pan with 1/2 of the grated cheese and a large handful freshly chopped coriander. Stir together.
- Put the grill on. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese ove the rice dish. Grill until cheese has melted.
- Serve straight away with a sprinkle of chopped coriander on top.
I cannot wait to see your posts!