So simple to make, these delicious vegan courgette and sweetcorn fritters are served with dairy-free yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce. So tasty!
If you’re looking for a tasty and easy-to-make snack, look no further than these courgette and sweetcorn fritters! These crispy and flavorful fritters are perfect for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a party or just looking for a quick and satisfying snack. They are also ideal for a mid-week dinner or as a tasty starter. Plus, they’re a great way to use up any extra courgettes or sweetcorn you may have on hand.
They are lightly spiced with cumin, fresh coriander, lemon juice, and mild chilli powder. I like to serve them with some dairy-free yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce drizzled all over, as well as some finely chopped spring onion.
These courgette and sweetcorn fritters contain no eggs, dairy, or gluten. They are made with gram flour (also known as chickpea flour) which you can find in most supermarkets or ethnic stores. Gram flour is naturally gluten-free and high in plant-based protein.
I have tried this recipe with plain flour, plain flour + eggs, and gram flour. I prefer the texture with gram flour but if you do not have any, plain flour works as well.
The quantities for this recipe make 12 fritters, so it can serve 2-6 people depending on if this dish is served as an appetiser or as a main.
In this post
How to make these courgette and sweetcorn fritters
Prepare the courgette and sweetcorn.
First, you will need to grate the courgettes on the coarse side of a cheese grater. The grated courgettes are then mixed with the drained sweetcorn, gram flour, garlic powder, lemon juice, finely chopped coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder, and salt.
Once all the ingredients are well-mixed together, leave the mixture to rest for 10 minutes. This will help the batter bind better without the need for eggs.
Fry the fritters
To cook these courgette and sweetcorn fritters, simply fill a large frying pan with 1.5cm [0.6 inches] high of vegetable oil. You want to heat the oil on high, then reduce the heat to medium-high when you cook otherwise the fritters will burn.
Temperature is key so I usually cook the first fritter on its own to make sure the heat is just at the right level.
Fry the fritters for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, remove the fritters from the pan and place them on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve hot and enjoy!
I use one heaped tablespoon of the vegetable mixture per fritter. In my frying pan, I can cook 2 to 3 fritters at a time. This is plenty to manage at once as they cook quite fast.
Can you freeze these fritters?
These fritters can be frozen for up to three months. Simply cook them as you normally would, let them cool, and then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. For best results, separate each fritter with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together.
When you’re ready to eat them, just reheat them in the oven, microwave, or on the stovetop.
What to serve with these courgette and sweetcorn fritters?
These delicious courgette and sweetcorn fritters can be paired with a variety of dipping sauces to suit your taste buds. In addition to the recommended chopped spring onions, dairy-free yoghurt, sweet chilli sauce and chillies why not try my chipotle mayonnaise or vegan tzatziki?
A crunchy green salad or coleslaw makes the perfect side dish.
Here are more fritter recipes you may like to try ..
- Cabbage & Carrot Fritters [vegetarian]
- Corn Fritters with Sweet Chilli Dip [vegetarian]
- Broccoli & Cauliflower Cheddar Fritters [vegetarian]
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Fritters [vegetarian]
.. and recipe roundups to find even more inspiration.
- In Season: 25 Amazing Recipes To Make With Corn This Autumn
- 45 Healthy & Meat-Free Kids’ Lunch Box Recipes
Also, my courgette soup can be enjoyed either hot or chilled and is infused with refreshing flavours of lemon, mint, basil, and dill. Perfect for a light and satisfying meal.
I hope you enjoy these vegan courgette and sweetcorn fritters as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Note: this recipe was originally published on September 20th, 2021 and updated August 30th, 2023.
Courgette & Sweetcorn Fritters [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 300 g courgettes
- 100 g sweetcorn (from a can)
- 100 g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 15 g freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- vegetable oil to fry
- dairy-free yoghurt
- sweet chilli sauce
- spring onions
- red chillies
- Grate the courgettes on the coarse side of a cheese grater.300 g courgettes
- Place in a large mixing bowl with the drained sweetcorn, gram flour, garlic powder, lemon juice, finely chopped coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder and salt. Mix together until well combined. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.100 g sweetcorn (from a can), 100 g gram flour (chickpea flour), 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 15 g freshly chopped coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp mild chilli powder, 1 tsp salt
- Add enough vegetable oil to a large frying pan to fill it to 1cm high.vegetable oil to fry
- Heat on high until the oil starts bubbling. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of the vegetable mixture to make your first fritter. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Once the fritter is cooked to one side, flipped it over with a large flat spatula and flatten it gently. Cook until the fritter is golden on both sides.
- Place the cooked fritter on a plate lined with a kitchen towel and keep warm while you make the rest of the fritters.
- Cook the rest of the fritters until you have used all the batter. Depending on the size of your frying pan you might be able to cook 2 to 3 fritters at a time.
- Serve straight away with chopped spring onion, dairy-free yoghurt sweet chilli sauce and some extra fresh chillies.dairy-free yoghurt, sweet chilli sauce, spring onions, red chillies
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!