So simple to make, these delicious vegan courgette and corn fritters are served with dairy-free yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce. So tasty!
They are lightly spiced with cumin, fresh coriander, lemon juice and mild chilli powder. I like to serve them with some dairy-free yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce drizzled all over, as well as some finely chopped spring onion.
These courgette and corn fritters contain no eggs, dairy or gluten. They are made with gram flour (also known as chickpea flour) which you can find in most supermarkets or ethnic stores. Gram flour is naturally gluten-free and high in plant-based protein.
I have tried this recipe with plain flour, plain flour + eggs and gram flour. I prefer the texture with gram flour but if you do not have any, plain flour works as well.
The quantities for this recipe make 12 fritters, so it can serve 2-6 people depending on if this dish is served as an appetiser or as a main.
How to make these courgette and corn fritters
First, you will need to grate the courgettes on the coarse side of a cheese grater. The grated courgettes are then mixed with the drained corn, gram flour, garlic powder, lemon juice, finely chopped coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder and salt.
Once all the ingredients are well-mixed together, leave the mixture to rest for 10 minutes. This will help the batter bind better without the need for eggs.
To cook these courgette and corn fritters, simply fill a large frying pan with 1.5cm [0.6 inches] high of vegetable oil. You want to heat the oil on high, then reduce the heat to medium-high when you cook otherwise the fritters will burn.
Temperature is key so I usually cook the first fritter on its own to make sure the heat is just at the right level.
I use one heaped tablespoon of the vegetable mixture per fritter. In my frying pan, I can cook 2 to 3 fritters at a time. This is plenty to manage at once as they cook quite fast.
Here are more fritter recipes you may like to try:
- Cabbage & Carrot Fritters [vegetarian]
- Corn Fritters with Sweet Chilli Dip [vegetarian]
- Broccoli & Cauliflower Cheddar Fritters [vegetarian]
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Fritters [vegetarian]
I hope you enjoy these vegan courgette and corn fritters as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Courgette & Corn Fritters [vegan]
- large mixing bowl
- cheese grater
- large frying pan
- 300 g courgettes
- 100 g corn (from a can)
- 100 g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 15 g freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- vegetable oil to fry
- dairy-free yoghurt
- sweet chilli sauce
- spring onions
- red chillies
- Grate the courgettes on the coarse side of a cheese grater.
- Place in a large mixing bowl with the drained corn, gram flour, garlic powder, lemon juice, finely chopped coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder and salt. Mix together until well combined. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a large frying pan to fill it to 1cm high.
- Heat on high until the oil starts bubbling. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of the vegetable mixture to make your first fritter. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Once the fritter is cooked to one side, flipped it over with a large flat spatula and flatten it gently. Cook until the fritter is golden on both sides.
- Place the cooked fritter on a plate lined with a kitchen towel and keep warm while you make the rest of the fritters.
- Cook the rest of the fritters until you have used all the batter. Depending on the size of your frying pan you might be able to cook 2 to 3 fritters at a time.
- Serve straight away with chopped spring onion, dairy-free yoghurt sweet chilli sauce and some extra fresh chillies.
I cannot wait to see your posts!