This French Apple Tart (Tarte Fine aux Pommes) is a classic dessert in France. Simple and delicious, it is best made with sweet dessert apples that do not “disintegrate” when cooked (Cox, Granny Smith etc..). I add a layer of applesauce between the pastry and apples.
To cut the thin apple slices you will need a very sharp knife or a mandoline. I leave the skin on but you can peel the apples if you wish.
I choose to drizzle some vegan caramel sauce on top but you have other options available for the finishing touch. You can simply serve it as is or add some toasted almond flakes. Alternatively, to add some glow, simply brush the tart with some melted apricot jam.
French Apple Tart (Tarte Fine aux Pommes) [vegan]
- oven tray
- 1 vegan puff pastry – I use Jus-Rol
- 300 g dessert apples – for the applesauce
- 3 medium dessert apples
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free butter + 1/2 Tbsp for pastry brushing
- 2 Tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- To make the applesauce, peel & core 300g [8.5oz] of apples. Place in a saucepan with 4 Tbsp of water. Cover and cook under medium heat until it has reduced to applesauce (around 10 mins). Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Leave of the side.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Roll out puff pastry to fit a rectangular oven tray. Approximatively 37 x 26cm (10 x 14.5 inches).
- While you make the apple sauce start cutting the other apples into thin slices using a sharp knife or mandoline.
- When the applesauce is ready, spread it evenly on top of the puff pastry leaving a thin border (2cm / 0.8 inch) all around.
- Overlap the apple slices on top to cover the whole tart.
- Once all the apples are laid out, dot tart with dairy free butter and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Brush some melted dairy free butter on the plain border.
- Cook for 30mins until crisp and golden.
- If you wish, when the tart is cooked, you can add some additional topping such as: (vegan) caramel sauce, toasted almond flakes or melted apricot jam.
I cannot wait to see your posts!