I love making these vegan apple chips. They make great use of our Autumn apple crop and are a healthy snack for the whole family. You can also add them to cereals, yoghurt or sneak a few in kids’ lunchboxes.
I use them for my Apple & Cinnamon Granola recipe here.
I do not have a food dehydrator so I simply put them in the oven.
This is the kind of recipe that is fun to play with. Different apples will have different sweetness, different spices such as nutmeg (instead of cinnamon) are lovely, and different cooking times will give different textures.
The timing below can be adjusted for personal taste. I like apple chips that are slightly chewy. If you prefer them crunchy cook them in the oven for 25 mins more. You need to watch them as the timing will depend on the apples themselves. You can peel the apples if you like. The ones I use are generally organic so I prefer to keep the skin on.
These apple chips will keep for a week in an airtight container.
Apple Chips [vegan]
- sharp knife or mandoline
- baking tray
- 2 apples
- Preheat the oven to 110C/225F/Gas 1/4.
- Core the apples with a sharp knife, melon-baller or apple corer.
- Cut the apples in 0.5cm (¼-inch) slices using a sharp knife or mandoline.
- Lay the apple slices on a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the apples.
- Cook for around 1hr. Check after 45 mins and turn the apples around. If you like to have crispier apple chips cook for an additional 15 – 25 mins.
- Remove from the oven once cooked. When cool place in an airtight container where they will keep for around 3 days.