This spinach with chickpea rice bowl makes a delicious and vibrant meal.
Cooked with almond butter and served on turmeric rice, this spinach with chickpea rice bowl makes a delicious and vibrant meal.
The inspiration for this dish came from my golden rice bowl recipe. I wanted to make a lighter alternative without coconut milk.
How to make turmeric rice
This dish owes its glorious sunny glow to turmeric. Turmeric rice is quite easy to make. All you have to do is add a teaspoon of ground turmeric to the water when cooking the rice.
To cook this delicious turmeric rice, simply place 175g of basmati rice in a saucepan and cover it with twice the amount of water (350g). Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 tsp of salt. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for 10mins or so until all the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork and leave covered until ready to use.
How long does it take to cook this spinach and chickpea rice bow recipe?
This dish can be ready within 25mins, so it is ideal when you crave something quick and nutritious.
First, the onion, garlic and tomatoes are gently fried in oil with ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and chilli flakes. You can start making the rice when these are cooking.
The vegetable stock and almond butter are then added to the onion mixture followed by the spinach. Once the spinach is wilted, you can add the chickpeas and season to taste with garam masala, lemon juice and salt.
Serve the rice topped with the spinach and chickpea mixture. Top with chopped almonds, chilli and coriander.
You can swap the almond butter for peanut butter and the almond topping for crushed peanuts.
Here are more rice recipes you may like to try:
- ONE-POT MEXICAN RICE CASSEROLE [VEGETARIAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- BROCCOLI BROWN RICE ASIAN SALAD [VEGAN]
- ONE-POT ASIAN CABBAGE & RICE [VEGAN]
I hope you enjoy this spinach with chickpea rice bowl recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Spinach with Chickpea Rice Bowl
- 1 saucepan
- 1 large frying pan
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 Tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp crunchy almond butter
- 200 g baby spinach
- 200 g can chickpeas
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala
- lemon juice
FOR THE RICE:
- 175 g basmati rice
- 350 ml water
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- chopped almonds
- fresh chilli
- fresh coriander
- Heat 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a saucepan. Add finely chopped onion, grated garlic cloves and roughly chopped tomatoes. Fry gently until soft.
- In the meantime, place the rice, turmeric, 1 tsp of salt and 375ml of water in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for 10mins or so until all the liquid has been absorbed. When done, remove from the hob and fluff the rice with a fork. Leave covered until ready to use.
- Add freshly grated ginger root, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground cinnamon and chilli flakes. Fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable stock and almond butter. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Simmer gently to thicken the sauce.
- Add chickpeas to the spinach mixture. Season to taste with garam masala, lemon juice and salt.
- Serve the rice topped with the spinach and chickpea mixture. Top with chopped almonds, chilli and coriander.
I cannot wait to see your posts!