Juicy roasted peaches with silky cashew cinnamon cream make a perfect summer dessert.
Juicy roasted peaches with silky cashew cinnamon cream make a perfect summer dessert. This recipe has sunshine written all over it.
I got the idea for the cashew cream from the Vegan Toolkit Workshop I attended at the Vegetarian Cookery School.
This is an easy recipe that you can cook on the grill or barbecue. You can make the caramelised almonds and cashew cream a day ahead (just keep them in airtight containers).
Peach stones can be hard to remove. If you run into difficulty, take a sharp knife to cut through the stones in half and leave them in. You can then discard the stones when eating.
Roasted Peaches with Cashew Cinnamon Cream & Caramelised Almonds [vegan]
- baking tray
- 6 peaches
- 150 g cashew nuts
- 300 g drained silken tofu
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup – or honey for non-vegan
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 100 g sliced almonds
- 4 Tbsp caster sugar
- vegetable oil
TO MAKE THE CASHEW CREAM:
- Place cashews in a blender and process until smooth. Add drained tofu, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and honey. Blend again until well mixed. Place cream in the fridge until ready to use. The cream can be made a day ahead and kept refrigerated in an airtight container.
TO MAKE THE CARAMELISED ALMONDS:
- Place the sliced almonds and caster sugar is a pan. Heat under medium heat, carefully stirring the almonds until the sugar turns to caramel. Remove from heat when almonds are all coated with brown caramel. Spread the almonds on parchment paper and leave to cool. Break into pieces when hardened.
- Heat the grill on high. (You can also grill the peaches on the barbecue).
- Cut peaches in half and remove the stones. Brush all over with a bit of oil.
- Place under the grill or barbecue until just cooked through.
- Carefully arrange peaches on a serving platter. Add a dollop of cream on top alongside chunks of caramelised almonds.