Caramel sauce is my guilty pleasure and I had been pondering for a while how to make it vegan.
After a few unsuccessful attempts (involving coconut milk) I finally managed to replicate the taste of Bonne Maman “Confiture de Caramel” (my benchmark). The only downside is that the colour is slightly darker, but then again the taste is spot on!
This vegan caramel sauce can be used on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, cakes, toasts or anything that take your fancy! Keep it in an airtight jar so it does not dry out.
Caramel Sauce [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 1 l almond milk
- 150 g dark soft brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp dairy free butter
- Heat the almond milk and sugar in a non-stick saucepan.
- Bring the milk to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours until the milk has condensed into a thick syrup. Stir from time to time.
- Remove from heat. Add the dairy free butter. Mix until well blended.
- Leave to cool completely before storing into an airtight jar.
- You can also use straight away and pour while it is warm.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!