This quick and easy chickpea salad recipe can be eaten on its own, as a side dish or use as a wrap filling.
This chickpea salad is another of my go-to dishes when I want something quick and healthy. It can be eaten on its own or as a side dish. For something a bit more substantial, I use it as a wrap filling.
This protein-packed salad is tossed in a simple lemon and olive dressing. Ground cumin adds some warm and earthy notes.
How to make this chickpea salad
For ease, I use canned chickpeas but if you cook your own from scratch, simple use 240g of drained chickpeas.
For vegetables, this recipe calls for tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and yellow pepper. Depending on what you have in your fridge. you can mix and match. Avocadoes and corn work perfectly too.
The vegetables are cut into small dice which is probably the most time consuming part of this recipe.
For herbs, I add finely chopped coriander, parsley and mint in equal measures of two tablespoons each. Again this is interchangeable, as long as you have around six tablespoons of finely chopped herbs.
The seasoning is left to the end with salt, pepper as well as optional chilli flakes and maple syrup. The chilli flakes and maple syrup are definitely a matter of personal taste. I like a little spicy kick and if the lemon juice is slightly too bitter, then the maple syrup does balance it out. Over to you to decide what works best for you!
Here are more chickpea recipes you may like to try:
- MOROCCAN CHICKPEA SALAD WITH CARROTS [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- CARROT & CHICKPEA SALAD WITH TOASTED COCONUT [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH [VEGAN]
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
- salad bowl
- small mixing bowl
- 400 g chickpeas
- 125 g baby plum tomatoes
- 125 g cucumber
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped mint
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove (grated)
- ¾ tsp cumin
- salt & pepper
- dash of maple syrup (optional)
- chilli flakes to taste (optional)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a salad bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and red onion into small dice.
- Chop the herbs finely.
- Put all the ingredients in the salad bowl with the chickpeas.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, grated garlic and ground cumin together in a small mixing bowl.
- Toss the dressing with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a dash of maple syrup and some chilli flakes if desired.
I cannot wait to see your posts!