This hearty sweet potato chilli is topped with moreish coriander dumplings.
This hearty sweet potato chilli is cooked in a rich tomato sauce seasoned with smoked paprika. It is served with some very moreish coriander dumplings that are perfect to soak up any extra juices.
I like to serve this dish with freshly chopped coriander and extra chillies on the side.
This is a really easy recipe to make that you can serve for a family meal or at a casual dinner party.
You can swap the sweet potatoes for butternut squash or pumpkin (just remember to adjust the cooking time).
Vegetarians can use regular butter instead of dairy-free butter.
How to make this sweet potato chilli with coriander dumplings recipe
First, you will need to fry the onion in some vegetable oil and then add the sweet potatoes, red pepper, chopped tomatoes, water. Then you can add the spices and crushed garlic cloves. Adding the spices at this stage will lock the flavours in.
While the chilli is cooking, you can start preparing the dumplings. All you have to do is place the self-raising flour, dairy-free butter, salt and freshly chopped coriander in a large bowl. Mix together with your hands until the dough sticks together to make one large ball. If it is too dry add a little bit of water. Split the dough into 14 chunks and roll each chunk into a small ball. You can leave the dumplings to rest while the chilli finishes cooking.
Once the chilli is ready, season it to taste with lime juice and salt.
Arrange the dumplings on top of the chilli and bake in the oven for 15 mins. Enjoy!
Here are more recipes you may like to try:
- SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEA MOROCCAN STEW [VEGAN]
- BAKED SWEET POTATOES WITH SMOKY BELUGA LENTILS [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- SWEET POTATO WRAPS WITH TAHINI HARISSA DRESSING [VEGAN]
I hope you enjoy this sweet potato chilli with coriander dumplings recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Sweet Potato Chilli with Coriander Dumplings [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 600 g sweet potatoes
- 800 g chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml water
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 garlic cloves
- 800 g can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- juice of 1 or 2 limes
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 400 g self-raising flour
- 200 g dairy-free butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- small bunch of coriander
- Chop the onion.
- Cut and deseed the red pepper. Cut into chunks.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 cm [0.4 inches] dice.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a large saucepan suitable for hob and oven.
- Add the chopped onion and fry gently until soft. Add the red pepper and sweet potatoes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, smoked paprika and crushed garlic cloves. Stir until all the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Bring to the boil, then cook for around 25 mins half-covered until medium heat until the sweet potatoes are cooked (they should still have a bite).
- While the chilli is cooking, you can start preparing the dumplings.
- Place the self-raising flour, dairy-free butter, salt and 6 Tbsp of freshly chopped coriander in a large bowl. Mix together with your hands until well combined. Adding water one tablespoon at a time keep on kneading the dough until it sticks together to make one large ball. (If it gets too dry add a little bit of water, if it gets too wet add a bit more flour ). Split the dough into 14 chunks and roll each chunk into a small ball. Set the 14 dumplings aside.
- When the chilli has around 5 mins left to cook, preheat the oven 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Once the chilli is cooked add the black beans to the pan. Season to taste with lime juice and salt.
- Arrange the dumplings on top of the chilli and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
- Serve with freshly chopped coriander and extra chillies on the side.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!