Warming and comforting, this silky and smooth vegan sweet potato soup is filled with goodness.
This comforting sweet potato soup is filled with goodness. Smoked paprika and ginger give it a delicious warming feel. Quick and straightforward to prepare, you can make a batch ahead and enjoy it throughout the week.
This is a low-fat, vegan and gluten-free recipe. I first tried to make it with coconut milk but opted for vegetable stock instead for a lower calorie option.
How to make this sweet potato soup
The base of this soup is made from onion, garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, tomato paste and freshly grated ginger root.
The sweet potatoes are then cooked for 20 to 25 minutes in vegetable stock with carrot, apple and split red lentils.
Once the vegetables are cooked, all you have to do is liquidise the soup. I find it easier to do this directly in the pan with a handheld immersion blender (such as this Kenwood Hand Blender *).
You can then season the soup with lemon juice, salt and pepper and adjust its consistency if needed with a little bit more water.
I am a big fan of toppings, especially when it comes to soup. This sweet potato recipe is perfect served with a dollop of (dairy-free) cream or yoghurt, some pecan nuts or walnuts, and a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and chilli flakes.
It is also lovely with toasted sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds.
Here are more warming soup recipes you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this sweet potato soup recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
*Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
Sweet Potato Soup [vegan]
- large saucepan
- handheld immersion blender
- 400 g sweet potatoes
- 250 g carrots
- 125 g apple
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 125 g split red lentils
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 250 ml water
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- (dairy-free) cream or yoghurt
- pecan nuts or walnuts
- fresh coriander
- Peel sweet potatoes, carrots and apple. Cut into small dice.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic cloves. Fry gently until soft.
- Add ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, tomato paste and freshly grated ginger. Fry gently together for a couple of minutes
- Add split red lentils, vegetable stock and water.
- Bring to the boil, then cook under medium heat for around 20-25 mins until the vegetables are soft.
- Liquidise soup. Add more water if needed.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with some (dairy-free) cream or yoghurt, pecan nuts, finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and chilli flakes.
I cannot wait to see your posts!