Smoked Tofu Lasagna [vegetarian]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- 400g [14 oz] courgettes (cut in 1cm dice)
- 400g [14 oz] aubergines (cut in 1cm dice)
- 400g [14 oz] cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 pepper (cut in 1cm dice)
- 1 red onion (cut in 1cm dice)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary (chopped roughly)
- 2 tsp golden sugar
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 750g tomato sauce [1.65 lbs]
- 400g [14 oz] smoked tofu
- 300g [10.5 oz] lasagna sheets
- 600ml milk [1 pint]
- 50g butter [2oz]
- 40g plain flour [1½ oz]
- 250g ricotta [9 oz]
- 40g vegetarian parmesan style cheese [1½ oz ] (plus extra for sprinkling)
- fresh grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- In a roasting dish mix together courgettes, aubergines, pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, thyme, rosemary, sugar and olive oil. Toss until vegetables are coated all over.
- Roast in the oven for 40-45mins until vegetables are soft and brown. Toss once or twice while vegetables are cooking.
- In the meantime make the cheese sauce. In a saucepan put the milk, butter and flour together. Bring to a boil while whisking until you have a thick and glossy sauce. Remove from heat. Add ricotta cheese and parmesan. Mix until well blended. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl scramble the drained smoked tofu with a fork.
- Once the vegetables are ready, start laying together the lasagna.
- Place one layer of lasagna sheets at the bottom of a large lasagna dish. Add 1/3 of the roasted vegetables topped by 1/3 of the tomato sauce, topped by 1/3 of the scrambled smoked tofu, topped by 1/3 of cheese sauce.
- Top this first layer with 1 layer of lasagna sheets plus 1/3 of the roasted vegetables topped by 1/3 of the tomato sauce, topped by 1/3 of the scrambled smoked tofu, topped by 1/3 of cheese sauce.
- Top this second layer with 1 layer of lasagna sheets plus 1/3 of the roasted vegetables topped by 1/3 of the tomato sauce, topped by 1/3 of the scrambled smoked tofu.
- Top this third layer with 1 layer of lasagna sheets plus 1/3 of cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle some grated parmesan on top. Cook for 40mins until golden (to check the lasagna is cooked insert a knife into it. The pasta should be soft).
This butternut & spinach curry makes a hearty and healthy...
This warming Moroccan sweet potato soup is served with crunchy...
This mild cauliflower & red lentil curry makes a quick...
This delicious roasted carrot and parsnip salad is tossed in...