Quick and easy, this tasty vegan Sweet & Sour Cauliflower recipe will soon become a family favourite. My kids love it and always ask for more.
Quick and easy, this tasty vegan Sweet & Sour Cauliflower recipe will soon become a family favourite. My kids love it and always ask for more. Ready in 30 minutes, I like to serve it with rice and a topping of spring onion and extra chilli flakes.
The cauliflower is roasted in the oven with a little bit of oil. Make sure not to overcook the cauliflower so it holds its shape when you mix in the sweet and sour sauce.
While the cauliflower is in the oven, you can prepare the sweet and sour sauce by mixing together some ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and chilli powder. For additional sweetness and texture, I also added some chickpeas and pineapple.
Cauliflower is truly versatile. Its hearty texture makes it ideal for plant-based recipes such as this Sweet & Sour Cauliflower or my Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Za’atar Couscous below, which is the perfect vegan alternative to a roast dinner or Sunday roast.
View this post on Instagram
I have got a treat for you this #MeatFreeMonday ?⠀ Cooked with fragrant za’atar, this whole roasted cauliflower makes a delicious and hearty dinner or lunch. Bursting with Middle-Eastern flavours, it is served on a bed of giant couscous with roasted tomatoes and a creamy tahini dressing and topped with crunchy pomegranate seeds, almonds and some fresh herbs. ?⠀ ⠀ Recipe link in my bio.⠀ ⠀ #vegan #meatlessmonday #flexitarian #cauliflower #plantbased #veganfood #veganmeal #vegancommunit #lessmeat #moreplants #instafood #yum #yummy #delicious #love
Sweet & Sour Cauliflower [vegan]
- large bowl
- oven tray
- small pan
- 675 g cauliflower florets
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 227 g can of pineapple chunks
SWEET & SOUR SAUCE:
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of chilli powder
- 200 g can chickpeas
- spring onion
- chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 220°C - 425°F/ fan oven 200°C / gas 7.
- If needed, cut the cauliflower florets into medium chunks. Place them in a large bowl. Toss in vegetable oil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cornflour on top and toss again until the cauliflower florets are well coated all over. Spread cauliflower florets on an oven tray. Bake for 15-20mins until tender (make sure not to overcook the cauliflower so it holds its shape when you mix the sweet and sour sauce).
- Drain pineapple chunks and pour the juice in a small bowl. Dilute 1 Tbsp of cornflour in the pineapple juice.
- Place pineapple and cornflour mixture in a small pan. Add the rest of the sweet & sour sauce ingredients above. Heat all together and whisk until the sauce has thickened.
- When cauliflower is done, pour the sweet & sour sauce over it. Add drained pineapple chunks and chickpeas. Carefully mix all together. Serve with rice topped with chopped spring onions and some extra chilli flakes.
I cannot wait to see your posts!