Doused in a tasty and light creamy sauce, this Easy Kohlrabi Curry is bursting with lovely flavours.
Doused in a tasty and light creamy sauce, this Easy Kohlrabi Curry is bursting with lovely flavours that will develop over time so it will taste even better the next day. Perfect with rice and naan bread.
You can make this curry as mild or spicy as you like by using different strength curry powders. I prefer to use a medium curry powder which I find perfect against the light flavour and crisp texture of kohlrabi.
Kohlrabi is one of these vegetables I discovered recently and got to fall in love with. It has a mild flavour and crunchy texture and can be enjoyed raw or cooked.
This recipe can easily be made vegan by using dairy-free yoghurt or coconut milk.
Easy Kohlrabi Curry [vegetarian]
- large saucepan
- 500 g kohlrabi
- 300 g carrots
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp medium curry powder or mild or hot depending on personal taste
- 1 heaped Tbsp of freshly grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml plain yoghurt or dairy free yoghurt / coconut milk
- 400 g chickpeas can
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- lemon juice to taste
- fresh coriander
- handful of sliced almonds
- olive oil
- Peel kohlrabi and carrots.
- Cut carrots in 1/2cm [0.4 inch] thick slices. Cut kohlrabi in 1/2cm [0.4 inch] dice. Cut cherry tomatoes in halves. Set aside.
- Cut onion in thin slices.
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic cloves. Fry gently until soft.
- Add grated ginger, curry powder and tomato paste. Fry for a few minutes together.
- Add kohlrabi, carrots and cherry tomatoes. Stir gently.
- Add stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a gently simmer and cook uncovered for 20-25mins until vegetables are soft (they should still have a bite).
- Stir spinach leaves in the curry and cook until wilted. Add yoghurt and drained chickpeas.
- Season to taste with lemon juice.
- Serve with sliced almonds and fresh chopped coriander on top.
I cannot wait to see your posts!