This vibrant and comforting beetroot soup recipe is filled with wonderful flavours.
Smooth and creamy, this beetroot soup recipe is filled with the wonderful flavours of tarragon and ginger. I like to serve it topped with some dairy-free yoghurt, a handful of crushed walnuts and some extra tarragon leaves.
This vibrant soup will warm you up from the inside out.
Sweet with deep earthy notes, beetroots make a hearty addition to a number of my vegetarian and vegan recipes. Beetroots are packed with nutritional goodness which gives this recipe a healthy kick.
How to make this beetroot soup recipe
This is a very straightforward soup to make. Once the vegetables have been peeled and cut into small pieces, they are gently fried in olive oil with some onion, ginger, garlic and tarragon.
The vegetables are then simmered in vegetable stock for around 20 to 30 minutes.
In order to make this soup ultra-smooth, instead of a handheld immersion blender, I use a blender. I have a wonderful NUTRiBULLET Rx Blender and Food Processor* that I reviewed here. I absolutely love it and use it to make smoothies, juices, nut milk, nut butter etc…
A word of caution though when you use a blender to liquidise soup. It is always best to let the vegetable mixture cool down first before transferring it to the blender cup. If you are not careful you can end up with a nasty burn injury as pressure and heat will build up when whizzing ingredients together. A few years ago, my yoga teacher ended up with some serious face and hand burns doing just that. So please be careful!
Once the soup is smooth and silky, you can return it to the saucepan to warm back up and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Once ready to serve, simply add a dollop of dairy-free cream of yoghurt, some walnuts ( hazelnuts are also an option) and extra tarragon leaves on top. Enjoy!
Here are more beetroot recipes you may like to try:
- SRI LANKAN-STYLE BEETROOT CURRY [VEGAN]
- LENTIL & BEETROOT SALAD [VEGAN]
- SWEET CHILI BEETROOT & RICOTTA FILO TARTS [VEGETARIAN] BY DAN DOHERTY
I hope you enjoy this beetroot soup as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
- large saucepan
- 600 g raw beetroot
- 1 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 125 g carrots
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- lemon juice (to taste)
- salt & pepper
- (dairy-free) yoghurt
- extra tarragon leaves
- Start by preparing the vegetables. Chop the onion. Chop the celery. Peel and chop the carrots into small chunks. Peel and chop the beetroots into small chunks.
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion. Fry gently until soft. Add the celery, carrots and beetroots. Fry gently for 5-8 mins until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the grated ginger, crushed garlic and chopped tarragon. Add to the saucepan and fry gently with the vegetables for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock on top of the vegetables. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat to medium and cook uncovered for 20-30 mins until the vegetables are soft.
- When the vegetables are cooked, let the soup cool down a little, then transfer it to a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Return to the pan. Heat the soup back up. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve this beetroot soup topped with a dollop of dairy-free yoghurt, walnuts and chopped tarragon leaves.
I cannot wait to see your posts!