Tarragon gives this fennel & asparagus soup some wonderful flavours.
Tarragon gives this fennel & asparagus soup some wonderful flavours. A warming and nutritious light meal, perfect on a chilly spring day.
For added crunch and taste, don’t skip the almond and seed topping (even though this soup is delicious on its own).
This recipe makes use of every part of asparagus so there is no need to bother chopping off the hard stalks as they cook perfectly well in soup. If you want, you could save some of the pretty tips to use for presentation but the almond and seed topping looks fabulous on its own with just a dollop of dairy-free cream.
The UK asparagus is season is very short so make the very best of it by enjoying them as often as possible. Check my asparagus recipe selection for inspiration. From asparagus soup to quiche, salad or even pizza there is quite a lot to choose from.
Fennel & Asparagus Soup [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 450 g asparagus
- 225 g fennel
- 225 g leek
- 15 g tarragon
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- lemon juice to taste
- 2 handfuls of almonds
- 1 handful sunflower seeds
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
- 6 sprigs of tarragon
- dairy-free cream
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and fry until soft. Add crushed garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Chop asparagus, fennel and leek. Add to the pan along with the tarragon. Fry gently for a couple of minutes then add the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then cook covered under medium heat for 20 mins.
- When the vegetables are cooked whizz the soup until smooth. Season with lemon juice.
- Chopped almonds and tarragon. Mix in sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkle of toppings and a dollop of cream on top.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!