This Orange & Beetroot Chocolate Cake is moist and delicious. Very chocolatey, it melts in the mouth.
This Orange & Beetroot Chocolate Cake is moist and delicious. Very chocolatey, it melts in the mouth and is one of my daughter’s favourite cakes.
You will not taste the beetroot that keeps this cake perfectly moist.
You can use orange extract, Grand Marnier or any other orange liqueur. Vanilla extract also works well (use also 2 tablespoons).
You can make it a day ahead so the ganache has time to set.
Orange & Beetroot Chocolate Cake [vegan]
- 3 mixing bowls
- 23cm / 9 inch springform cake tin
- 250 g cooked beetroot
- 250 g caster sugar
- 250 g plain flour
- 60 g unsweetened cocoa
- 2 Tbsp of orange extract or Grand Marnier / other orange liqueur
- 2 chia eggs – 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds mixed in 6 Tbsp of water
- 125 ml coconut oil – around 6 Tbsp melted
- 125 ml almond milk
- 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dairy free butter to grease cake tin
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 125 ml almond milk
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Make the chia eggs by mixing together 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix 125ml almond milk [US 1/2 cup] with 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Line the bottom of a 23cm / 9 inch springform cake tin with baking sheet. Grease well all over.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt.
- Cut the beetroot into chunks. Whizz in a blender to a purée. Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix the orange extract (or Grand Marnier) with the beetroot. Add melted coconut oil and chia egg. Mix well together with a fork.
- Add the beetroot mix to dry ingredients (you can do this by hand or in a food processor). Add the almond milk and vinegar mixture. Blend well, do not overbeat.
- Spread the cake mixture evenly in the tin.
- Cook in the oven for 30-35 mins until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool down in its tin then carefully remove sides of the spring form cake pan. Run a palette or rounded knife on the inside edge of the cake pan first to make sure the cake comes out neatly.
- Make the ganache by melting chocolate with almond milk in a pan.
- Let it cool so it is not too runny before spreading all over cake top and sides. Leave to cool until ganache sets.
- This cake can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container or dome. On a hot day, make sure to keep the cake cool so the ganache does not melt.
I cannot wait to see your posts!