This Lentil & Beetroot Salad is enhanced by the beautiful flavours of hazelnuts, cumin and pomegranate.
This Lentil & Beetroot Salad is enhanced by the beautiful flavours of hazelnuts, cumin and pomegranate. Great contrast with peppery watercress.
A few months ago I had the pleasure to meet the Love Beetroot team and spend the day cooking with Dan Doherty. We learned all about beetroot and how it is not only delicious but also really good for your health. Dan shared some great cooking tips and in case you missed it I posted two of his recipes afterwards: Beetroot Dip with Feta, Sesame & Lime [vegetarian] and Sweet Chili Beetroot & Ricotta Filo Tarts [vegetarian].
I used cooked cumin & pomegranate infused baby beetroots for this Lentil & Beetroot Salad recipe. I really love the subtle hint of cumin and sweetness of the pomegranate. They are available from Waitrose. You can substitute for plain cooked beetroot.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad [vegan]
- mixing bowl
- 200 g puy lentils
- 300 g cumin & pomegranate baby beetroot – available from Waitrose (see recipe introduction for alternative)
- 2 handfuls of pomegranate seeds
- small handful of chopped hazelnuts
- handful of watercress
- 2 Tbsp hazelnut oil
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- salt & pepper
- Heat some water in a saucepan. When boiling add lentils and cook according to packet instructions (around 10-12 mins) . They should still have a bite.
- Drain well. Toss lentils in 1 Tbsp of hazelnut oil. Set aside.
- Cut beetroots in quarters.
- Make dressing by mixing together Dijon mustard, crushed garlic, ground cumin, 1 Tbsp hazelnut oil, 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 Tbsp of cider vinegar.
- Toss lentils in dressing along with quartered beetroot.
- Place watercress on a large serving plate. Top with lentil and beetroot mix.
- Dry toast hazelnuts in a pan. Add to the salad along with pomegranate seeds.
- Drizzle another tablespoon of olive oil just before serving. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
I cannot wait to see your posts!