This Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup recipe makes a comforting meal filled with delicious late-summer flavours.
Filled with delicious late-summer flavours this roasted red pepper and tomato soup is served with a dollop of dairy-free cream or yoghurt and some freshly chopped basil. Smoked paprika adds just the right amount of sweet and peppery taste.
This soup is made with simple storecupboard ingredients and fresh tomatoes and red peppers. This is a perfect recipe at this time of the year when the weather starts getting cold but you still want to enjoy a taste of juicy summer produce.
How to make this roasted red pepper and tomato soup?
Instead of being cooked in a pan, the tomatoes and red peppers are roasted in the oven to enhance their flavours. I added a red onion and plenty of garlic cloves (with their outer skin on. You can easily remove the inside of the garlic cloves once roasted and discard the outer skin).
When roasting the tomatoes and red peppers will generate some wonderful cooking juices. Make sure you use every single drop!
When the vegetables are cooked, you can either transfer them to a large saucepan or to a blender and whizz them together with the rest of the ingredients. Personally, I find it easier to blend the soup in a saucepan using a handheld blender. It gives me a bit more control over how much vegetable stock to use to get my desired consistency.
I like to use sundried tomato paste but plain tomato paste works just as well.
If you are looking for some late summer soup recipes, you should also try …
My Courgette & Tomato Basil Soup also makes a delicious soup perfect for colder evenings.
This Creamy Tomato Soup is full of delicious flavours and uses cannellini beans instead of cream.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup [vegan]
- 2 roasting trays
- large saucepan
- 3 red peppers
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 375 ml vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree (plain or sundried)
- 1 lemon juice (to taste)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free cream or yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Remove the seeds of the red peppers and cut each one in 8 slices. Cut each tomatoes in 6 slices. Slice teh red onion.
- Spread the vegetables on 2 oven trays. Add garlic cloves with their skin still on.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil. Place in the oven for 35mins until cooked.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, transfer them to a large saucepan or blender. Make sure you also transfer the cooking juices.
- Blend until smooth. Add smoked paprika, tomato puree and vegetable stock. Depending on the consistency you desire, you can adjust the quantity of vegetable stock.
- Season to taste with lemon juice plus salt and pepper.
- Serve with some shredded basil and some dairy-free cream or yoghurt on top.
I cannot wait to see your posts!