This colourful vegetarian sausage traybake is served with roasted butternut, kale, tomatoes and a creamy dip.
This colourful vegetarian sausage traybake is served with roasted butternut, kale, tomatoes and a creamy dip. It is an easy and straightforward recipe. The vegetables are added in stages to accommodate individual cooking times.
The dip is inspired by Ottolenghi’s Butternut Squash with Ginger Tomatoes and Lime Yoghurt. I added some maple syrup and cinnamon which bring even more warmth to this autumn recipe.
You can easily make this recipe vegan by using vegan sausages and dairy-free yoghurt. Because meat-free sausages are generally low in fat, make sure you toss them in olive oil alongside the butternut to help them cook better.
Kale should cook in 5mins, but I prefer to leave it in the oven a couple of minutes longer to make it crispier like these kale chips.
Vegetarian Sausage Tray Bake
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 650 g butternut
- 8 chilled vegetarian sausages – I used Cauldron Cumberland Sausages. Can be swapped with vegan sausages
- 3 large whole kale leaves
- 270 g cherry vine tomatoes
- olive oil
FOR THE DIP:
- 4 Tbsp of sour cream or dairy free yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 Tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / Gas 6.
- Cut butternut squash in 1.5cm dice [0.6 inch]. Spread on oven tray with sausages. Drizzle with oil. Bake in the oven for 40 mins.
- After 25 mins of the sausages being in the oven, add tomatoes to oven tray and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove tought stalks from kale leaves and roughly chop the tender part of the leaves. Add chopped kale to oven tray 5 to 7 minutes (the longer you leave kale in the oven, the crispier it will be) before the end of cooking time.
- Prepare the dip while the butternut and sausages cook in the oven, by mixing together all the dip ingredients above. Adjust maple syrup, ginger and lime juice to taste if necessary.
- Serve this vegetarian sausage tray bake hot with the dip on the side.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!