This simple charred corn salad makes a tasty and delicious end of summer or early autumn dish.
Fresh corn on the cob is such a treat at this time of the year. The ears of corn are charred under the grill or on the BBQ. This gives them a deep and smoky flavour.
The zingy dressing is made from extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chilli powder and a touch of maple syrup to balance out the acidity.
This salad is really versatile. You can serve it on its own or as a side dish. It even doubles up as salsa to top tacos and tortillas.
How to make this charred corn salad
This is a very straightforward recipe. All you have to do is cook the ears of corn under the grill until the kernels are charred. This will take around 15 minutes.
While the corn is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. While this recipe calls for cherry tomatoes, I like to use a mixture of different shapes from round to oval tomatoes.
Once you have diced, sliced and cut the fresh ingredients, simply mix them in a salad bowl with the black beans.
As soon as the corn is cooked, remove it from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut the corn kernels off the cobs trying to keep as many clusters as you can.
Place the charred corn in the salad bowl. Add the dressing ingredients and mix everything together. Adjust the amount of lime juice, maple syrup, salt and chilli powder to suit your own taste.
This salad is best served at room temperature.
Here are more corn recipes you may like to try:
- COURGETTE & CORN FRITTERS [VEGAN]
- CAULIFLOWER TACOS WITH SMOKY CHIPOTLE MAYO [VEGAN]
- ONE-POT MEXICAN RICE CASSEROLE [VEGETARIAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- RECOVERY PROTEIN BOWL WITH QUORN + CREAMY CHIPOTLE AVOCADO DRESSING [VEGETARIAN]
I hope you enjoy this charred corn salad recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Charred Corn Salad [vegan] [gluten free]
- grill or BBQ
- salad bowl
- 3 ears of corn
- 400 g can black beans
- ½ red onion (finely sliced)
- 200 g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ orange pepper (diced)
- 20 g fresh coriander
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¾ tsp cumin
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- chilli powder to taste
- Heat the grill to medium. Please corn on an oven tray and grill the corn until charred all over. This should take around 15mins. (Alternatively, you can grill the corn on the BBQ).
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the corn is grilling.
- Wash and drain the black beans and place them in a salad bowl. Add the finely sliced onion, cherry tomatoes cut in halves, diced orange pepper and finely chopped coriander.
- When the corn is charred all over, remove it from the oven and leave it to cool for a few minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut the corn kernels off the cobs trying to keep as many clusters as you can.
- Place the charred corn in the salad bowl. Add the dressing ingredients and mix everything together. Adjust the amount of lime juice, maple syrup, salt and chilli powder to suit your own taste. Serve at room temperature.
I cannot wait to see your posts!