Cooked in creamy coconut milk, this golden rice bowl with turmeric, kale and harissa chickpeas recipe makes a tasty vegan meal that you can have ready in less than 30mins.
Cooked in creamy coconut milk, this golden rice bowl with turmeric, kale and harissa chickpeas recipe makes a tasty vegan meal that you can have ready in less than 30mins. Leftovers will reheat brilliantly the next day.
The rice owes its gorgeous golden colour to turmeric and is fragranced with ginger for added warmth.
I like to serve this dish with plenty of fresh mint and coriander as well as a dollop of (dairy-free) cream or yoghurt.
How to make this golden rice bowl
The base for this dish is a fragrant mix of onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. The rice is then cooked with coconut milk, vegetable stock and finely chopped kale. The liquid is absorbed by the rice and adds a creamy texture to this dish.
While the rice is cooking, the chickpeas are pan-fried in harissa and olive oil. They make a tasty topping, bursting with plant-based goodness.
If you like, you can swap the kale for spinach or some other greens, making sure it is finely chopped so it cooks quickly. I use regular coconut milk to make this dish extra-creamy but you can use light coconut milk for less fat content.
View this post on Instagram
If you are looking for other rice recipes, you should also try …
Rice in all its shapes and colours is a staple for us. You can find more rice recipe inspiration here. One of my most popular rice dishes is this One-Pot Mexican Rice Casserole that you can serve on its own or with some crunchy tortillas which are always very popular with my kids! My vegan One Pot Spanish Quorn Chicken & Rice is also a firm family favourite and if you are looking to impress your guests then you must try my Steamed Sweet Potato Rice Balls which can be prepared in any steamer tray.
Golden Rice Bowl with Kale and Harissa Chickpeas [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/ 2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 175 g jasmine rice
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 75 g finely chopped kale hard stalks removed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 400 g can chickpeas
- olive oil
- 1 to 2 tsp harissa paste
- salt & pepper
- TO SERVE:
- fresh mint
- fresh coriander
- dairy-free cream or yoghurt
- Heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion, grated garlic, grated ginger and turmeric. Fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add rice. Mix until coated in oil all over. Add vegetable stock, coconut milk and finely chopped kale. Stir until all ingredients are mixed together. Cover and cook under medium heat for 10-15mins until rice is cooked. Stir from time to time so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- In the meantime heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add drained chickpeas and, depending on how spicy you would like the chickpeas to be, 1 to 2 tsp of harissa paste. Toss together until the chickpeas are coated all over. Fry under medium heat for 10 mins or so until the chickpeas are golden.
- When the rice is done, season with lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Serve rice straightaway topped with chickpeas, (dairy-free) cream or yoghurt as well as fresh mint and coriander.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!