These Mediterranean Pan-Fried Gnocchi make a simple and delicious dinner or lunch, filled with fresh vegetables and flavours.
This Mediterranean Pan-Fried Gnocchi recipe is really straightforward to make and can be ready to serve in 40mins.
Bursting with fresh vegetables and flavours, I like to serve it with some fresh basil on top (rosemary also works really well here) and some vegetarian or vegan parmesan.
While boiled gnocchis are soft and slightly stodgy, pan-fried gnocchi are deliciously crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Best of all they only take around 10mins to cook.
Are gnocchi pasta?
The short answer is no unless the gnocchi are made with impasto (a mixture of flour and water). Still, I have decided to classify my gnocchi recipes under “Pasta” as any pasta lover will generally enjoy a plate of gnocchi.
Pasta is made from wheat and water. Most gnocchi you will find in UK supermarkets are made from wheat and potato so they are more like dumplings than pasta.
If you are following a vegan diet, make sure you read the ingredients carefully are some brands do use milk. I like Biona‘s fresh gnocchi which are vegan and organic.
How to make these Mediterranean Pan Fried Gnocchi?
This is quite a simple recipe where the vegetables (courgettes and tomatoes) are fried in olive oil with red onion, garlic and some dry Italian herb mix.
The gnocchi are then pan-fried on their own. Once done, all you have to do is transfer the vegetables back into the pan and mix in black olives and roasted red pepper. I like to add plenty of fresh basil on top as well as some vegan or vegetarian parmesan.
This Mediterranean Pan-Fried Gnocchi recipe serves 2-3 people and is perfect for a fuss-free dinner or lunch. You can also add a crunchy green salad on the side.
Mediterranean Pan Fried Gnocchi [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 250 g courgettes
- 250 g tomatoes (cherry or baby plums)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mixed Italian herbs
- 400 g vegan potato gnocchi
- 1 generous handful of black olives
- 90 g roasted red pepper from a jar
- salt & pepper
- 1 small bunch of basil
- vegan parmesan
- or vegetarian parmesan
- Cut the red onion into thin slices. Cut the courgettes into thin slices and cut each slice into quarters. Cut the tomatoes in halves.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Gently fry the red onion slices until soft (around 5 mins).
- Add the sliced courgettes, tomatoes, crushed garlic cloves and dry mixed Italian herbs. Fry under medium heat for 10-15mins until the vegetables are cooked.
- Once done, transfer vegetable mixture to a plate.
- Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to the frying pan. Add the gnocchi and fry under medium heat until golden and crunchy.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the gnocchi and reheat altogether.
- Add the olives cut in halves and the roasted red pepper cut into thin slices.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve straightaway with some fresh basil on top. If desired you can also add a sprinkle of vegan or vegetarian parmesan.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!