For a thrifty and hearty meal, look no further than this vegan Curried Root Vegetable Casserole.
For a thrifty and hearty meal, look no further than this vegan Curried Root Vegetable Casserole. Carrots, parsnips, and potatoes are smothered in a rich and creamy tomato coconut sauce.
This is a comforting one-pot meal that the whole family will enjoy. Red lentils and chickpeas boost the protein content of this recipe. Serve it with wholegrain rice and/or wholemeal pitta bread. Sprinkles of fresh coriander and spring onions will add extra flavours.
This Curried Root Vegetable Casserole is quite straightforward to make, just make sure you cut the vegetables in even pieces (as per instructions below) so they cook evenly together.
Today we celebrate Earth Day 2019 with a focus this year on protecting the millions of species that inhabit our planet.
The unprecedented global destruction and rapid reduction of plant and wildlife populations are directly linked to causes driven by human activity: climate change, deforestation, habitat loss, trafficking and poaching, unsustainable agriculture, pollution and pesticides to name a few. The impacts are far-reaching.
Food, especially meat production, takes a major toll on the environment. Each week, many of us make decisions about food 3 times a day, 7 days a week. That’s 21 opportunities to make a difference and help preserve species around us. One of the easiest ways to reduce our ecological footprint is to choose to eat less meat.
This Earth Day I have teamed up with other bloggers to create the selection of delicious sustainable food recipes below. Enjoy!
Vegetarian and/or Sustainable Food Recipes
by Food Blogging Friends –
For a Small Planet
Hosted By The Baking Fairy and Palatable Pastime
- BBQ Grilled Shrimp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blackened Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa by The Beard and The Baker
- Curried Root Vegetable Casserole by The Flexitarian
- Easy Vegan Brownies by Triple Chocolate Kitchen
- Homemade Vegetable Broth by Simple and Savory
- Kali Dal – Beluga Lentils by Sneha’s Recipe
- Lemon Garlic Orzo with Roasted Vegetables by Join Us, Pull up a Chair
- Quick Pickled Vegetables by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Bread Salad by Home Sweet Homestead
- Vegan Deviled Eggs by Palatable Pastime
Curried Root Vegetable Casserole [vegan] [gluten free]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 300 g parsnips
- 300 g carrots
- 300 g potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp mild curry paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 100 g red lentils
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 100 g creamed coconut
- 400 g can chickpeas
- lime juice to taste
- wholegrain rice
- fresh coriander
- 2-3 spring onions
- Peel parsnips, carrot and potatoes. Cut carrots and parsnips in 1 cm [0.4 inch] slices and potatoes in 2cm dice [0.8 inch].
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry finely sliced onion until soft. Add crushed garlic, grated ginger, mild curry paste and ground cumin. Fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add vegetables to saucepan along with chop the chopped tomatoes, red lentils and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then cook half-covered for 15 mins under medium heat.
- Add grated creamed coconut and drained chickpeas. Cook uncovered for a further 10 mins until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve with wholegrain rice, chopped coriander leaves and spring onions.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!