This sweet potato and spinach pie is fragranced with a delicious spice blend.
Eat it warm or cold with raita served on the side.
Indian Sweet Potato & Spinach Pie with Raita [vegan]
- large saucepan
- Frying pan
- 23cm [9inches] ∅ pie dish
- 1 kg sweet potato
- 200 g spinach leaves
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 thumb ginger
- juice of 1 1/2 lemon
- 25 g fresh coriander – stalks removed
- 6 filo pastry sheets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- nigella seeds
FOR THE RAITA:
- 1/2 medium cucumber
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 red chilli – to taste
- 170 g dairy free yoghurt or Greek yoghurt for non-vegans or Greek yoghurt for non-vegans
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 lemon juice – to taste
- salt & pepper
- Heat some salted water in a large saucepan.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into slices. Transfer the sweet potatoes when water is boiling and cook for 6-8 mins. They should be slightly underdone. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, mustard seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, grated ginger and turmeric. Cook gently to release aromas until onion is soft.
- Add the spinach to the pan and sauté until cook. Set aside.
- Brush a 23cm [9inches] ∅ pie dish with some olive oil. Line with one filo sheet. Brush the filo sheet with olive oil and lay a second one on top to make a cross. Brush this second sheet with olive oil. Lay a third sheet at a 45 degree angle from the first filo sheet. Brush with olive oil. Lay a fourth sheet at a 45 degree angle from the second filo sheet. Brush with olive oil. Make sure that your leave enough filo pastry overhanging on each layer so it can be folded over the pie later. By now your pie dish should be entirely lined up with filo pastry.
- Mash the sweet potato to chunks with a fork. You do not want to mash them too fine otherwise the pie will be too soft. Add to the spinach mixture along with finely chopped coriander bunch. Add the lemon juice. Mix together until well blended. Season to taste.
- Add this filling to the pie dish. Distribute it evenly, pressing it down slightly.
- Cover with one filo pastry sheet. Brush it with olive oil. Lay a second one on top to make a cross. Brush again with olive oil.
- Carefully fold the overhanging pastry over the top of the pie, scrunching them up. Brush top of the pie with olive oil and sprinkle some nigella seeds all over.
- Cook the pie in the oven for around 30-35mins until golden and crisp.
- While the pie is cooking prepare the raita by mixing into a bowl yoghurt, crushed garlic, lemon juice, ground cumin, chopped mint and chopped coriander. Peel and deseed cucumber.
- Grate the cucumber with a cheese grater. Mix in the yoghurt mixture. Season to taste. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the pie is ready, leave it to rest for 10 mins at room temperature before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with raita on the side.
I cannot wait to see your posts!