This roasted winter squash with creamy lentils recipe makes such a comforting vegan meal. The beluga lentils are cooked in a creamy coconut and tomato sauce, lightly spiced with garam masala and a blend of other spices.
This roasted winter squash with creamy lentils recipe makes such a comforting vegan meal.
The beluga lentils are cooked in a creamy coconut and tomato sauce, lightly spiced with garam masala and a blend of other spices. The lentils should take around 60mins to cook and the winter squash around 30mins, so you need to coordinate as per the method below to have them both ready at the same time.
Beluga lentils are small black lentils that grow in North America. When cooked they retain their texture and are ideal for hearty dishes. High in antioxidants, dietary fibre and folates, beluga lentils are a great source of low-fat plant-based protein.
For this recipe, I have used some red kuri squash, but you can use pumpkin or even butternut squash. Red kuri squash has a great texture and a delicious nutty taste.
If you are looking for more winter squash inspiration try my Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Bulgur Wheat and Lentil below. Hearty and delicious, it is topped with crunchy pomegranate seeds and almonds.
View this post on Instagram
#MEATFREEMONDAY RECIPE ??⠀ This roasted butternut squash salad with bulgur wheat and lentil has a zingy lime and ginger dressing. Hearty and delicious, it is topped with crunchy pomegranate seeds and almonds.⠀ ⠀ Grab the recipe on the blog. Link in my bio.⠀ ⠀ #vegan #flexitarian #plantbased #MeatlessMonday #seasonalfood #instavegan #veganfoodlover #whatsveganseat
Roasted Winter Squash with Creamy Lentils [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 1.3 kg winter squash red kuri, pumpkin or butternut
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 300 g beluga lentils
- 1 litre of water
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml can of coconut milk
- lemon juice to taste
- fresh coriander
- dairy-free yoghurt
- chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Peel the winter squash, remove the seeds and cut into 3cm [1.2 inch] wedges. Scatter the wedges on an oven tray. Drizzle some oil and a pinch of salt on top. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry gently until soft. Add garam masala, freshly grated ginger, cinnamon powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and chilli powder. Fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomato paste, beluga lentils, water and chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then cook uncovered under medium heat for 40 mins. Stir the lentils from time to time so that they do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After the lentils have been cooking for 30mins, place the winter squash in the oven to roast. The winter squash should take around 30mins to cook.
- When the lentils have been cooking for 40mins, add the coconut milk to the saucepan. Stirring from time to time, cook for another 20mins or so, until the lentils are cooked and you have a nice creamy sauce.
- When done, season the lentils to taste with lemon juice and salt.
- Serve the lentils topped with the roasted squash, some freshly chopped coriander, chilli flakes and a dollop of yoghurt.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!