Packed with protein and goodness, this Quinoa Confetti Salad is colourful and beautiful.
Packed with protein and goodness, this Quinoa Confetti Salad is colourful and beautiful. Most of the work is the chopping, otherwise the recipe is quick & straightforward.
I used Waitrose’s Love Life Freekeh & Quinoa which is perfect for salads.
If you want to make it gluten free just use quinoa only.
While this version is vegan, this dish is also delicious with added feta cheese.
Can be made a day ahead and keep refrigerated overnight.
Quinoa Confetti Salad [vegan]
- 2 saucepans
- mixing bowl
- 250 g Waitrose LOVE life Freekeh & Quinoa or same amount of your favourite grain
- 400 g can black beans
- 125 g frozen shelled edamame
- 1/2 fennel
- 300 g mixed red and yellow grape cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 125 g frozen corn
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 7 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- small bunch basil – around 30 leaves
- small bunch coriander – leaves only
- juice of 1 lemon
- 200 g Feta cheese – optional
- salt & pepper
- Heat some salted water in 2 separate pans.
- When boiling, add the freekeh & quinoa mix in one and cook according to packet instructions for around 12 mins. Drain well. Place in a salad bowl to cool down. Mix in 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook the edamame and corn in the other pan for around 3 mins until just cooked. Drain and reserve on the side.
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Add the black beans on top of the freekeh & quinoa mix, followed by cooked edamame and corn.
- Cut the tomatoes and fennel into small dices. Cut the red onion into thin slices. Add all of those to the salad.
- Make the dressing by mixing together Dijon mustard, crushed garlic, 1 tsp salt, 6 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp vinegar and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning.
- Toss the salad and dressing together. The salad can now be kept covered in the fridge for a day or served straight away.
- Add the finely chopped herb leaves and feta just before serving. Adjust the seasoning again if needed.