Autumn Brown Rice & Quinoa Pilaf [vegan] [gluten free]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 500g butternut squash [1.1 lb]
- 250g portobello mushrooms [8.8 oz]
- 125g cavolo nero [4.4 oz]
- 160g brown and wild rice mix [5.6 oz / US 1 cup]
- 175g quinoa [6.1 oz / US 1 cup]
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- seeds from 3 cardamom pods (crushed)
- 1 generous handful dried cranberry
- 250ml vegetable stock [US 1 cup] + 250ml water [US 1 cup]
- olive oil
- 2 - 3 limes
- 2 Tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- small bunch of coriander
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4.
- Peel and cut butternut in 1cm [0.39 inch] dice.
- Spread butternut on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil. Roast for around 35 mins until tender.
- In the meantime heat some olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and 3 crushed garlic cloves. Gently fry with turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, caraway, bay leaves and crushed cardamom seeds.
- When onion mixture is soft and golden, add rice and coat all over in the oil.
- Cover with stock and water. Stirring frequently, cook under medium high heat until rice is cooked. Rice should be cooked when all the liquid has been absorbed. If not, add slightly more water until rice is cooked.
- In the meantime heat some salted water in a small saucepan. When boiling add quinoa and cook for around 12 mins until done. Drain, fluff with a fork and reserve on the side.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add 1 garlic clove, chopped mushroom and chopped cavolo nero. Fry until cook.
- When everything is cooked add quinoa to rice. Mix well. Add fried mushrooms and cavolo nero along with roasted butternut.
- Add cranberry, hazelnut, juice of 1 lime. Season to taste.
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of fresh coriander on top plus some extra lime juice if desired.
This easy gazpacho recipe is bursting with flavours from fresh...Recipe by theflexitarian |
Burgers are always popular with everyone and this vegan recipe...Recipe by Love Watercress |