Savoury tatins make delicious lunches. Here I have chosen some Mediterranean vegetables: courgette (zucchini), aubergine (eggplant), pepper and tomato flavoured with thyme, fennel and basil. I you are not concerned by making this dish vegan, you can add bits of crumbled goat cheese or feta on top just before serving. It is best to cook this tart in a tatin dish. If you do not have one, make sure you use a non-stick cake tin so the vegetables do not stick as this dish is cooked upside-down and flipped over once cooked. Perfect with a crunchy green salad.
Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Tatin [vegan]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4.5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 vegan puff pastry (I use Jus-Rol)
- 1 small courgette (zucchini)
- 1 small aubergine (eggplant)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small red pepper
- 250g cherry tomatoes [8.8oz]
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 75g light brown sugar [US 1/2cup]
- 5 Tbsp vegan balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- salt & pepper
- basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6.
- Cut courgette (zucchini) and aubergine (eggplant) lengthwise in 1/2 cm [0.2 inch] thick strips. Peel and cut red onion in 8 slices. Slice red pepper in 1cm [0.4 inch] thick wedges.
- Place vegetables on a roasting tray. Mix together with whole cherry tomatoes and crushed garlic. Toss with olive oil and fennel seeds. Season well.
- Roast in the oven for 20 mins.
- 10 mins before the vegetables are cooked you can start preparing the caramel.
- Mix together sugar, vinegar and water in the tatin dish. Place on the hob and cook for 5-10 mins until caramel is thick and glossy.
- When the vegetables are cooked remove them from the oven. Lower oven temperature to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
- Once you are ready to assemble the tart, arrange vegetables evenly on top of caramel.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of thyme on top of vegetables.
- Add rolled puff pastry on top. Tuck the extra pastry inside the dish.
- Cook in the oven for 20 mins until golden.
- Remove tatin from the oven. Put a serving dish on top and flip it over. Be careful as some of the juices might be hot. Pour any extra caramel from the dish on top of the tart.
- Serve hot or warm with basil leaves sprinkled on top.
FROM OUR SHOP
Make the best of summer vegetables with this vegan Georgian...Recipe by theflexitarian |
This whole roasted fennel recipe with cherries and pistachios and...Recipe by theflexitarian |