Hearty and filling, this Roasted New Potato and Asparagus Lentil Salad is great on its own or as a side dish.
Hearty and filling, this Roasted New Potato and Asparagus Lentil Salad is great on its own or as a side dish. Vegan and gluten-free, it has a tangy lemon and dill dressing. Lentils add some healthy plant-based proteins.
I created this recipe for Tesco using their Jersey Royal New Potatoes. Deliciously nutty and earthy, they are traditional spring produce and can only be grown on the island of Jersey. Jersey Royals are still produced and harvested using many traditional practices such as planting the seed potatoes by hand, fertilising the potatoes using seaweed harvested from Jersey beaches and harvesting from the island steep slopes using winch and cables.
With a heritage that dates back 140 years, Jersey Royals are generally only available for a limited period each year. This season Jersey Royals have been delayed due to the severe cold weather conditions which have affected the UK and even Jersey itself.
You can find Jersey Royal New Potatoes at Tesco in both a pre pack and loose format. If you prefer smaller potatoes, there is even a pre pack of Jersey Royal Baby New Potatoes. They should all be available until July depending on the amount of crop available.
Tesco Jersey Royal New Potatoes are really versatile. While they are ideal boiled or steamed, I also love roasting them as it enhances their delicious flavour.
For this recipe, I have also added another of my personal Spring favourite: asparagus. Simply throw the asparagus in the oven with the potatoes 10-15 mins before the end (roasting time will depend on the size of the asparagus).
This Roasted New Potato and Asparagus Lentil Salad is best eaten warm or at room temperature.
Roasted New Potato and Asparagus Lentil Salad [vegan] [gluten free]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 1 kg Tesco Jersey Royal New Potatoes
- 150 g puy lentils
- 250 g bunch of asparagus
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 generous handful chopped spinach leaves
- 6 sundried tomatoes in oil – roughly chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ Fan 200°C / 425°F/ Gas 7.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into halves or quarters depending on their size. Toss in 3 Tbsp of vegetable oil and place on a tray, in the oven for 40mins.
- Heat some water in a saucepan. When the water is boiling, add the lentils and cook for 10-15mins until soft (they should still have a bite). When done drain the lentils and set aside in a large salad bowl.
- Snap off the tougher ends of the asparagus and discard. Chop the rest of the asparagus in thirds. 10 to 15 mins before the end of the potatoes cooking time, add the asparagus to the oven tray to roast.
- Make the dressing while the vegetables are cooking. Crush garlic in a bowl. Add salt and grind to a paste. Add mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, finely chopped shallot and dill.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add them to the lentils. Toss together with the dressing. Leave everything to cool for 5 mins, then add the chopped spinach leaves and sundried tomatoes. Toss again until everything is well mixed together. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!