These fluffy vegan Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are loaded with fruits and topped with a blueberry and lemon coulis.
Just in time for Pancake Day, these fluffy vegan Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are loaded with fruits and topped with a blueberry and lemon coulis.
Pancakes are always so popular in our house. They are the best wake up call to get everyone to sit quickly at the dining table.
This recipe makes 8 pancakes so enough to feed 4 people. You can pile them high (they are a hit with both adults and children) and serve them for breakfast, brunch or a mid-afternoon snack.
I use both white flour and spelt flour for this recipe, but if you prefer you can simply use white flour. You can also use frozen blueberries instead of fresh ones. Non-vegans can also replace the chia eggs with 2 organic eggs and the non-dairy milk with dairy milk.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes [vegan]
- 2 mixing bowls
- pancake pan
- 125 g white flour
- 125 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 chia eggs [2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water]
- 500 ml non dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil + extra for frying
- 250 g blueberries – fresh or thawed from frozen
FOR THE COULIS:
- 350 g blueberries – fresh or thawed from frozen
- 150 g sugar
- juice and zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp of water
- Make buttermilk by mixing milk and vinegar together. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Make chia eggs by mixing together 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds and 6 Tbsp water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Place all ingredients for the coulis in a small saucepan. Cook under medium heat until you obtain a jammy mixture (10 – 15 mins). Make sure you stir often so it does not stick to the pan. When done, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients for the pancakes: white flour, spelt flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients for the pancake: buttermilk, chia eggs, vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together with a hand whisk. Fold in the blueberries carefully with a spoon. Leave the batter to stand for 5 mins.
- Heat some oil or dairy free butter in a pancake pan under medium heat. Add 3/4 of a ladle of the blueberry pancake batter to the pan for each pancake. Cook for 3 minutes or so, until bubbles start appearing on the top. Flip and cook for a further 2 minutes on the other side. Each pancake should rise to about 1 cm. Repeat for each pancake until you have used up all the batter.
- Serve hot or warm with blueberry coulis on top.
I cannot wait to see your posts!