Quorn Crispy Nuggets are the perfect topping for these meat-free “chicken” waffles served with a side of fruity pineapple salsa.
Quorn Crispy Nuggets are the perfect topping for these meat-free “chicken” waffles served with a side of fruity pineapple salsa. Quick and easy, this recipe makes a delicious brunch, lunch or light dinner that the whole family can enjoy together.
Until my father-in-law introduced me to this unusual combo, I would have never thought of eating chicken and waffles together. But it works! Especially with a side of fresh vegetables or fruits.
So, in my never-ending quest of finding recipes that our flexitarian family can enjoy together, I had the idea of using Quorn Crispy Nuggets.
Made from mycoprotein, Quorn is high in protein and fibre while being low in fat. It is very easy to cook with and really versatile. Quorn has a similar texture to chicken and makes a tasty alternative. Most importantly, we all like Quorn so as a family of meat-eaters and non-meat-eaters we can enjoy it together.
Quorn Crispy Nuggets are coated in a light crispy batter that is delicately seasoned so you can mix and match them with different cuisines and flavours.
While being 100% meat-free, Quorn Crispy Nuggets are so similar to chicken in consistency and taste that it is almost impossible to tell the difference!
Ready in a flash, they only take 15 minutes to cook in the oven and are available from the frozen aisle in either a 300g bag of 16 nuggets or a larger 476g value-pack bag of 24 nuggets.
How to make these Quorn Crispy Nuggets “Chicken” Waffles
I take every chance I get to have my kids eat more fruit and vegetables, so I decided to serve these waffles with a fresh pineapple salsa. For the flavours and juice to develop, I like to make it first. All there is to do is chop some fresh pineapple, tomatoes, pepper, and red onion and toss them together with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
The next step is to make the batter, a simple process of mixing flour, baking powder, and salt with dairy-free milk, oil, and a dash of cider vinegar.
The Quorn Crispy Nuggets are baked in the oven for 15 minutes which leaves you enough time to make the waffles.
Once the waffles are done, simply serve them on a bed of rocket, topped with some nuggets and a side of salsa. A drizzle of maple syrup will give this dish a sweet and tasty final touch.
Here are more Quorn recipes you may like to try:
- QUORN BUFFALO WING TORTILLA SALAD BOWLS
- QUORN CHICKEN STYLE PIECES AND LEEK PIE [VEGETARIAN]
- QUORN HOTPOT [ZERO WASTE RECIPE]
- ONE-POT SPANISH QUORN CHICKEN & RICE [VEGAN]
- MOROCCAN QUORN MEATLOAF WITH CREAMY HARISSA DRESSING [VEGETARIAN]
- VEGGIE QUORN CHILLI CON CARNE
I hope you enjoy these vegan Quorn Crispy Nuggets “Chicken” Waffles as much as we do. If you do make it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Quorn Crispy Nuggets “Chicken” Waffles
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
FOR THE SALSA
- 275 g chopped fresh pineapple
- 100 g chopped tomatoes
- ½ orange pepper
- 60 g chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 g chopped fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Chopped green chilli (to taste)
- Salt & pepper
FOR THE WAFFLES
- 190 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 350 ml non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 60 ml melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 4 to 6 Quorn Crispy Nuggets per person*
- Small bag of rocket
- Maple syrup
- Make the salsa: Chop all its ingredients and toss in olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ Gas 7. Preheat the waffle iron.
- Make the waffle batter: In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl stir together the milk, vinegar, and oil. Tip the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Make the nuggets: Scatter the Quorn Crispy Nuggets on a baking tray and cook for 15 minutes.
- Oil the waffle iron and cook the first waffle. Keep it warm while you make the others.
- To serve, put some rocket on a plate. Top with a waffle and 4 to 6 Quorn Crispy Nuggets. Add some salsa and a drizzle of maple syrup. Eat straight away.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!