This colourful Roasted Aubergine Saffron Salad will brighten up your table. Ideal for a buffet, barbecue or al fresco dining.
If you have some time prepare the saffron dressing the day before so it has time to develop a lovely orange glow.
Roasted Aubergine Saffron Salad [vegetarian]
- 3 mixing bowls
- baking tray
- 1 medium aubergine
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 175 g uncooked couscous
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 170 g fat free Greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 generous pinch on saffron
- juice of 1 to 2 lemons
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil + extra for roasting
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 2 handfuls almond flakes
- salt & pepper
- Put the saffron in a bowl with 2 Tbsp of boiling water and let infuse. (if you have time make this the day before).
- Preheat the oven to 210C/410F/Gas 7.
- Cut the aubergine in 1/2cm [0.2 inches] slices. Lay them on a baking tray. Drizzle some olive oil on top and roast for 10-12 mins until browned.
- Place the couscous in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Cover with boiling water. Place a plate on top and leave to stand for 5 mins or so. Once the water has been all absorbed, fluff with a fork adding 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the Greek yoghurt, saffron liquid, crushed garlic, lemon juice, 3 Tbsp olive oil and honey. Season to taste.
- Place the couscous in a salad bowl. Mix with the halved tomatoes, roasted aubergine, chickpeas and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Dry roast the almond flakes in a pan.
- Top the salad with toasted almonds and a drizzle of saffron dressing.
- Serve the salad with extra saffron dressing on the side.