Ready in 40 mins, this vegan sweet potato, lentil and cashew curry is perfect for a midweek dinner. Hearty and healthy comfort food!
It is a “dry” mild curry best served with naan bread and/or on a bed of rice. You want a consistency that is not too liquid. Feel free to use curry paste strength to suit your own individual taste.
Sweet Potato, Lentil and Cashew Curry [vegan]
- 2 saucepans
- 250 g small green lentils
- 600 g sweet potato – cut in 1.5 cm dice
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp mild curry paste or more to adjust to your taste
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves – crushed
- 3 cm fresh ginger root – grated
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 150 g cashew
- 2 – 3 big handfuls of fresh chopped coriander
- 1 lime juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat some water in a saucepan and cook the lentils for 15 mins. They should be cooked but still retain a bite.
- In the meantime in a separate pan, fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and golden.
- Add the curry paste and ginger and fry for another 2 mins or so.
- Add the diced sweet potato plus the vegetable stock to the onion and garlic mixture. Bring to boil and cook under medium heat for 8-10mins. Do not let it go to mash, the sweet potatoes should be cooked but still have a bit of a bite. You also want the liquid to evaporate.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and lentils to the sweet potatoes. Cook for another 10 mins until the liquid has almost all evaporated. Add cashews and heat through.
- Just before serving add some lime juice and fresh coriander. Season to taste.
I cannot wait to see your posts!