These Banana & Date Muffins are naturally sweetened with bananas, sultanas and dates.
These Banana & Date Muffins are naturally sweetened with bananas, sultanas and dates. They are light and delicious.
A few weeks ago, UK charity Send a Cow reached out to me to help promote their Sweet Swap challenge. During the month of May, they are asking people to give up the sweet things they love for anything from one week to the whole month and to donate the money they save or raise in sponsorship to Send a Cow.
There has been a lot of talk about sugar in the news lately, so I was glad to get involved to highlight another side of the sugar story: the plight of smallholder sugar cane farmers in Africa trapped into a life of extreme poverty.
My kids are big fans of muffins so this seems to be an ideal recipe to get them involved and speak about this fantastic cause.
With no added sugar and little oil, they make a healthy breakfast or snack choice for the whole family. Needless to say, the two batches we made disappeared in no time.
You can read more about the Sweet Swap challenge here.
Banana & Date Muffins [vegan] [no added sugar]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 125 g plain flour
- 125 g wholemeal flour
- 175 g dates
- 75 g sultanas
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 chia egg [1 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 Tbsp of water] or 1 beaten organic egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to Fan 180°C / 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Place 12 large paper baking cases in a muffin tin.
- Prepare the chia egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Put the sultanas in a bowl. Pour boiling water to cover. Set aside.
- Place the dates in a blender with 125ml [US 1/2 cup] of hot water. Whizz to a paste.
- Sieve flours, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt in the large bowl of a food processor.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas. Add oil, vanilla extract, date paste and chia egg. Mix well.
- Add the banana mixture plus drained sultanas to the dry ingredients. Blend until well combined.
- Carefully spoon into each muffin paper baking case in muffin tin to 3/4 height.
- Place in the oven for around 20mins. Insert a skewer to check they are cooked. The skewer should come out clean.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!