So very British, this vegetarian Leek, Apple, Stilton & Walnut Quiche is filled with local flavours.
So very British, this vegetarian Leek, Apple, Stilton & Walnut Quiche is filled with local flavours. This recipe makes a perfect lunch or light dinner recipe to be enjoyed all year round.
I enjoy the sweetness of the apple that contrast with the strength of Stilton and the softness of leeks.
You can serve it on its own or with a crunchy salad.
If you choose not to bake blind the pastry case first, the crust might be a bit soggy but still delicious. You can also substitute the stilton for another bold blue cheese.
You will find other quiche recipes here.
Leek, Apple, Stilton & Walnut Quiche [vegetarian]
- large frying pan
- tart tin
- 360 g leeks
- 150 g apple
- 150 g stilton
- 2 large shallots – finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 3 organic eggs
- 300 ml single cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 50 g butter
- 1 large handful of chopped walnuts
- nutmeg to taste
- salt & pepper
- 1 puff pastry
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add finely chopped shallot and crushed garlic. Cook for 3 mins.
- Add finely chopped leek. Mix well. Cover and cook under medium / low heat for 15 mins stirring from time to time.
- Pre-heat the oven to Fan 180°C / 200°C / 350°F / Gas 4.
- Roll out puff pastry to fit a rectangular tart tin. Approximately 31 x 21 x 2 cm (12 x 4.75 x 0.75 inch). Cover with baking parchment and pour some baking beans on top. Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- When done, remove pastry from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together cream, eggs and chopped thyme leaves. Add crumbled stilton. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- When leeks are done, remove pan from heat. Mix in grated apple and walnuts.
- Spread leek filling evenly onto the pastry. Pour egg and cream mixture on top.
- Cook in the oven for around 20-25mins until top is golden.
- Leave to settle outside the oven for 10 mins before serving.
I cannot wait to see your posts!