This Pearl Barley Buddha Bowl with Creamy Avocado Dressing is the ultimate healthy lunch.
This Pearl Barley Buddha Bowl with Creamy Avocado Dressing is the ultimate healthy lunch. Purple sprouting broccoli, pepper, black-eyed beans, and eggs are served on a bed of pearl barley and garnished with capers and crunchy pumpkin seeds. Dressed with a creamy avocado dressing, this is a tasty and filling lunch that you can enjoy at home or on-the-go.
Depending on how runny you like the yolk you can boil the eggs for 6-8 minutes. For a vegan option, you can, of course, swap the eggs for more black-eyed peas and vegetables.
This recipe can be adapted to suit any leftover grains you might have such as quinoa, rice, couscous, bulghur, etc… and can be enjoyed throughout the year by replacing purple sprouting broccoli by seasonal vegetables.
Bursting with healthy fats, the creamy avocado dressing is a nice alternative to a vinaigrette and the lemon juice will help preserve it from oxidation for a couple of days.
An ideal option for work lunch boxes, you can prepare this pearl barley buddha bowl the day before and keep it overnight in an airtight container.
If you need additional seasonal inspiration, why not check out my Winter Buddha Bowl or this Rainbow Quinoa Buddha Bowl with Ginger Tahini Dressing.
Our rescue hens have been providing us with extra fresh eggs, with beautiful deep yellow yolks. It has been such a treat to be able to enjoy them in dishes like this one.
View this post on Instagram
These three have set out to destroy our garden it seems ? but they are worth it! I am yet to catch one of their mud baths on video. They just love them.. So funny ! ?You might remember from my stories a few months ago when we adopted these 3 rescue ex-bat hens which were considered at the end of their commercial lives and destined to be killed. ?You might not recognise them though, as they arrive with no to little feathers (due to the appalling welfare standards they were kept in. I used to believe that British welfare standards must be ok… how wrong was I!) ?It has been a big learning curve for us , but they have grown stronger and more confident… and yes they now have beautiful feathers, love getting dirty in the mud and are generally great fun (in spite of being very messy). More on the blog soon… ?? #rescue #hen #exbat #animalwelfare #flexitarian #hensofinstagram #chickens #chickensofinstagram #backyardchickens #love #poultry
Pearl Barley Buddha Bowl with Creamy Avocado Dressing [vegetarian]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 150 g uncooked pearl barley
- 6 purple sprouting broccoli stems
- 2 organic eggs
- 200 g cooked black-eyed beans
- 1/4 red pepper cut into small dice
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
FOR THE CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING:
- 1 large ripe avocado
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 large sprigs of basil
- 2 large sprigs of parsley
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 9-12 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Boil some water in a pan and cook the pearl barley according to packet instructions (around 30 mins). When done drain and set aside.
- Boil some water in another pan and steam (or boil) the purple sprouting broccoli for around 3 mins until just cooked. When done drain and set aside.
- Boil the eggs for 6-8 minutes depending on how runny you like the yolk. When done plunge in cold water and leave to cool down.
- In the meantime, using a blender, make the dressign by whizzing together the avocado flesh, lemon juice, herbs, Dijon mustard and garlic clove. Add water to get your desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl. Add olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- To serve, fill each bowl evenly with cooked pearl barley, purple sprouting broccoli stems, eggs, black-eyed beans, diced red pepper, capers and pumpkin seeds. Top with creamy avocado dressing.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!