No need for cheese, cream or dairy .. a rich and silky cashew sauce is the secret to this vegan spinach & artichoke creamy pasta.
No need for cheese, cream or dairy .. a rich and silky cashew sauce is the secret to this vegan spinach & artichoke creamy pasta. This is such as satisfying dish with hearty artichokes and cannellini beans.
This recipe is inspired by spinach & artichoke dip which I discovered while living in the US. It has plenty of flavours and makes a quick and easy meal, as long as you remember to soak the cashews overnight.
Make sure you use the best quality grilled artichokes. For extra flavour, I use the oil the artichokes are preserved in to fry the vegetables. My pasta of choice is wholewheat penne here but of course, this vegan spinach & artichoke creamy pasta dish works with any kind of pasta.
Depending on how hungry you are, this recipe makes 4-6 portions. If you have any leftovers, they will keep for a few days in the fridge in an airtight container. This pasta dish is best reheated in the microwave to prevent it from drying out.
Make sure you check out my pasta recipe page for additional inspiration. If you prefer a vegan white sauce without nuts do try my Pasta With Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce which uses cauliflower as a base and works really well with oat milk.
Spinach & Artichoke Creamy Pasta [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
- 150 g cashews soaked overnight
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 250 ml water
- lemon juice to taste
- grated nutmeg to taste
FOR THE PASTA:
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 260 g baby spinach leaves
- 280 g jar grilled artichokes in oil
- 400 g can cannellini beans
- 3 tsp capers
- 12 sundried tomatoes in oil
- 300 g pasta
- fresh parsley to serve
- Soak the cashews in water for 4 hours to overnight. When ready, place drained cashews in a blender with nutritional yeast and water. Whizz until smooth. Season to taste with lemon juice, nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- Place 2 Tbsp of the artichokes oil in a large frying pan. Add chopped red onion and fry gently until soft. Add spinach and grated garlic. Cook until spinach has wilted.
- In the meantime cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- When spinach has wilted, add quartered artichokes to pan, alongside drained cannellini beans, white sauce, capers and finely chopped sundried tomatoes. Cook gently until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pasta with vegetables in creamy sauce and freshly chopped parsley on top.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!